J.K. Rowling Writes Short Story About 'Harry Potter' Singer Celestina Warbeck
J.K. Rowling posts a new writing about a minor character from her famous "Harry Potter" book series. She has written a brief biography about Celestina Warbeck. In the book, Celestina is Mrs. Weasley's favorite singer. Ron's mother has a tradition to tune in her Christmas concerts, much to the distaste of the rest of the family.
"Celestina Warbeck is one of my favourite 'off-stage' characters in the Harry Potter series, and has been part of the Potter world ever since its inception," Rowling says. "I always imagined her to resemble Shirley Bassey in both looks and style. I stole her first name from a friend with whom I worked, years ago, at Amnesty International's Headquarters in London; 'Celestina' was simply begging to be scooped up and attached to a glamorous witch."
The author narrates Celestina's story on her official blog, Pottermore.com, on August 18 which happens to be the singing sorceress' birthday. She begins, "Internationally-acclaimed singing sensation Celestina Warbeck (sometimes known as 'the Singing Sorceress') hails from Wales. Her father, a minor functionary in the Muggle Liaison Office, met her Muggle mother (a failed actress) when the latter was attacked by a Lethifold disguised as a stage curtain."
"Celestina's extraordinary voice was apparent from an early age. Disappointed to learn that there was no such thing as a wizarding stage school, Mrs. Warbeck reluctantly consented to her daughter's enrollment at Hogwarts, but subsequently bombarded the school with letters urging the creation of a choir, theatre club and dancing class to showcase her daughter's talents."
Rowling describes how famous Celestina really is, "Three devoted fans were involved in a nasty three-broom pile up over Liverpool while trying to reach the last night of her 'Flighty Aphrodite' tour, and her tickets often appear on the black market at vastly inflated prices (one reason why Molly Weasley has never yet seen her favourite singer live)."
"Celestina has sometimes lent her name and talents to good causes, such as raising funds for St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries with a recording of Puddlemere United's anthem 'Beat Back Those Bludgers, Boys, and Chuck That Quaffle Here'. More controversially, Celestina was vocal in her disagreement when the Ministry of Magic sought to impose restrictions on how the wizarding community was allowed to celebrate Hallowe'en."
"Some of Celestina's best-known songs include You Charmed the Heart Right Out of Me and A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love. Her fans are usually older people who love her grandstanding style and powerful voice. The late 20th-century album You Stole My Cauldron but You Can't Have My Heart was a massive global hit."
Of the singer's personal life, Rowling says it "has provided much fodder for the gossip columns of the Daily Prophet. An early marriage to a backing dancer lasted only a year; Celestina then married her manager, with whom she had a son, only to leave him for the composer Irving Warble ten years later."
One of Celestina's songs, "You Stole My Cauldron, but You Can't Have My Heart", recorded by a singer at Universal Orlando Resort is also posted online. Fans who visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley theme park will be treated to her live performance with her backing group "The Banshees".
Celestina Warbeck's short biography:
- Birthday: 18th August
- Wand: Larch and phoenix feather, 10 1/2 inches long, flexible
- Hogwarts house: Gryffindor
- Special abilities: Ability to drown out a chorus of banshees, tap-dancing, fancy baking
- Parentage: Wizard father, Muggle mother.
- Family: Has married three times; one son
- Hobbies: Travelling in fabulous style, breeding rough-coated Crups, relaxing in any of her eight homes
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy