Gloria Estefan Bio-Musical 'On Your Feet!' Coming to Broadway in 2015
Gloria Estefan's rise to stardom is getting a Broadway treatment. A musical titled "On Your Feet!" will depict the zero-to-hero story of the seven-time Grammy winner and her longtime husband Emilio, who also earned multiple Grammys, at least 19. In addition to featuring her classic hits like "Conga", "1-2-3", and "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You", it is expected to include new songs the couple specifically writes for the show.
The bio-musical will get a trial at Chicago's Oriental Theatre from June 2-July 5, 2015 before heading to the Great White Way at the Marquis Theatre. Previews will begin October 5, 2015 with an opening night set for the following month. Tony winner Jerry Mitchell ("Kinky Boots") is set to direct with a book by Alexander Dinelaris ("Still Life") and choreography by Sergio Trujillo ("Jersey Boys").
No cast has been announced, but an open casting dubbed "Reach Gloria" is expected to be held in New York and in the Estefans' native city of Miami on September 9 and September 21. Hopefuls can also submit their video submissions on the show's official website. They are asked to sing Gloria Estefan's songs in English, Spanish, or in both languages.
The Cuban-born singer says that "finding the right performers to tell our story on the Broadway stage is the most important step in this project. ... Our own journey together started in Miami, a city that has been such an inspiration to us both, and it only felt right that the city be a cornerstone of our search for the next generation of bright talent."
Her hubby Emilio adds, " 'On Your Feet!' is a piece that speaks to people of every culture around the world. We've seen audiences from South America to Asia, and everywhere in between, be moved by our music and we want each and every one of them to have a chance to be a part of this story and show their talent to the world."
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd