Report: Jenna-Louise Coleman to Quit 'Doctor Who' in Christmas Episode
Doctor Who may soon get a new companion. Rumor has it, Jenna-Louise Coleman, who recently dropped her middle name Louise, will quit the popular sci-fi series after playing the role of Clara Oswald for 18 months.
Coleman reportedly will make her final appearance in the upcoming Christmas episode. A source tells U.K.'s Mirror, "It's important to keep the series moving and fast-paced, and the time is just starting to feel right and the feeling is that it could be a perfect Christmas storyline," adding that "it was very much a mutual decision."
"By the time she leaves she will be one of the longest-standing companions ever. She has been absolutely brilliant in the role, but everyone agrees it is a part that should change after a period," the source explains.
Clara made her first appearance on the BBC seies in a September 1, 2012 episode as Oswin Oswald. She later debuted as a series regular in the Christmas special episode "The Snowmen" as Clara Oswin Oswald before later the character's simply named Clara Oswald.
"Doctor Who" season 8 is scheduled to premiere Saturday, August 23, at 8 P.M. ET on BBC America with Peter Capaldi as the 12th incarnation of the Doctor.
Addressing rumor that the Doctor and Clara's relationship would turn romantic in the coming season, producer Steven Moffat said in July, "He's not as immediately approachable and he's not necessarily looking for your approval."
"From a Doctor she could sort-of control because he had a crush on her, she's landed with a Doctor who barely registers that she's a girl," Moffatt explained the change in the Doctor and Clara's relationship. "They're great friends and all that but she has to be his human interface with everybody else."
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga Make Out in New Alexander Wang Promo
- Brad Pitt Cancels Red Carpet Appearance Due to 'Family Situation'
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce