Robin Williams Reportedly Devastated by 'The Crazy Ones' Cancellation
"The Crazy Ones" cancellation could be one of the factors that led to Robin Williams' suicide. Sources say the late comedian was devastated that the show ended its run after only one season and saw it as a "personal failure."
Someone told TMZ that before the CBS comedy debuted, Williams had said, "My face is all over town [on billboards] and it's all on my back." Thus when it couldn't survive the chopping block, "it hit him hard."
He allegedly entered the Hazelden Addiction Treatment Center in July for depression instead of substance abuse, though he had opened up about his struggle with cocaine and alcohol addiction in the past. Another source claimed that Parkinson's disease diagnosis didn't affect him as great as the "Crazy Ones" cancellation since doctors told him "the medications were so great he wouldn't even start to show symptoms for 6 or 7 years."
Moreover, Williams is believed to have been depressed by the fact that good roles for him were few as he's getting older. He allegedly shared his concern about this to fellow veteran actor Robert De Niro.
A source on the set of "Crazy Ones", meanwhile, told PEOPLE that the Oscar-winning actor "was struggling" during the show's filming. "We were doing a scene, and it was just off. I looked over at him, and in that moment, his face changed," the source said.
"He looked so exhausted and profoundly, deeply sad. And then one minute later he pulled himself back together, and he nailed the scene. He had a depth; that's where the darkness came from, but there was just so much there."
"The Crazy Ones" is Robin Williams' last TV gig before he passed away Monday, August 11, a few weeks after his 63rd birthday. Sarah Michelle Gellar, who played Williams' on-screen daughter on the CBS comedy, paid tribute to the late actor by posting a collage of her pictures with Williams.
Their show debuted to 15.52 million viewers in September 2013, making it the most-watched premiere that fall. The ratings, however, gradually declined during the season, with the last episode garnering only 5.23 million viewers.
More Robin Williams News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal