Cliff Richard Denies Sex Assault Allegations
Cliff Richard has denied claims that he sexually assaulted a teenager in the 1980s. The British singer issued a statement on Thursday, August 14 after his home in Berkshire, west of London, was raided by police who investigate the case. Although he denied the allegations, the rocker who was in his holiday home in Portugal when police came to visit on Thursday afternoon stated that he would cooperate with the authorities.
"For many months I have been aware of allegations against me of historic impropriety which have been circulating online. The allegations are completely false," the statement read. "Up until now I have chosen not to dignify the false allegations with a response, as it would just give them more oxygen. However, the police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except, it would appear, to the press."
"I am not presently in the UK but it goes without saying that I will co-operate fully should the police wish to speak to me," it continued. "Beyond stating that today's allegation is completely false it would not be appropriate to say anything further until the police investigation has concluded."
South Yorkshire police are investigating the abuse claims after the alleged victim made a complaint recently. The alleged assault reportedly took place at a rally held by an American evangelical preacher Billy Graham in 1985.
"A search warrant was granted after police received an allegation of a sexual nature dating back to the Eighties, involving a boy who was under the age of 16 at the time," the police said in a statement. After searching the apartment for five hours, they took some items for further investigation. No one has been arrested in the case.
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy