Coroner Defends Releasing 'Disturbing' Details of Robin Williams' Death
Many people criticized the Coroner office after details on Robin Williams' suicide were released on Tuesday, August 12, saying that some of them were not necessary. The next day, the authorities responded to the criticism and explained that the info was actually regarded as "public information" despite its disturbing nature.
"The Sheriff's Office understands how the release of the kind of information you heard yesterday may be viewed as disturbing by some, and as unnecessary by others, but under California law, all that information is considered 'public information' and we are precluded from denying access to it," Marin County Sheriff's Office Deputy Chief Coroner Keith Boyd explained in a statement via e-mail. "These kinds of cases, whether they garner national attention or not, are very difficult for everyone involved."
Previously, the Coroner revealed how the beloved actor's body was found by an assistant. They said Williams cut his wrist before hanging himself with a belt.
Some people took to social media to object to releasing such details. "There's no need to report all the intimate details of Robin Williams' death. Unless there had been doubts, 'suicide' is more than enough," one person wrote on Twitter. Another user tweeted, "I really wish they didn't release the details of how Robin Williams was found. People will be focusing on that, instead of the person he was."
In related news, Williams' publicist Mara Buxbaum has denied reports suggesting that the actor had been having financial problems prior to his death on Monday at the age of 63. "Reports suggesting Robin may have had financial issues are simply false. I understand people's desire to try to understand this, but we would encourage your focus be on working to help others and understand depression," she said.
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly