Teen Choice Awards Accused of Being Rigged
Fans who voted for their favorites at the Teen Choice Awards felt cheated. On Sunday, August 11, #TeensDontHaveAChoiceAwards became a trending topic on Twitter after Vine sensation Cameron Dallas pointed out how he was notified that he won the Choice Viner six days before the voting ended.
"It's funny how they told me I won the viner award 6 days before the voting ended and made the runners up still vote to tweet for them," he wrote on Twitter but later deleted it. Dallas was apparently unhappy that YouTube personality Tyler Oakley beat him to be Choice Web Star: Male. "He already knew he was going to win that's why he didn't promote and that's why he didn't seem surprised," Dallas wrote in another post.
Vine star Matt Espinosa, who was also nominated for Choice Web Star: Male, wrote in his own Twitter account, "Basically they picked the people almost 6 days before voting was done and used all of us for promotion." Another Vine celebrity, Carter Reynolds, posted a similar message, "#TCAs is rigged. #TCAS2014 used all of us for promotion. What a joke."
Though some complained that the TCAs might be rigged, the show actually added a disclaimer on the screen at the end of the broadcast that explained how the voting process truly worked. One viewer noticed this and posted the screengrab.
The disclaimer read, "Winners for the Teen Choice Awards are determined using the votes cast on TeenChoiceAwards.com. Votes are tabulated electronically and winners are determined based on the nominees in each category with the highest number of eligible votes. [Production company] Teenasaurus Rox reserves the right to choose the winner from the top four vote getters. The Olay Fresh Effects Breakout Star Award and Ultimate Choice Award were both chosen by Teenasaurus Rox."
"Teen Wolf" actor Tyler Posey and "Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland hosted the prize-giving ceremony. "Pretty Little Liars" led the TV winners with six, Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort dominated the movie winners with their films "Divergent" and "The Fault in Our Stars", while One Direction was a big winner in music field.
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending