Teen Choice Awards Accused of Being Rigged
Fans who voted for their favorites at the Teen Choice Awards felt cheated. On Sunday, August 11, #TeensDontHaveAChoiceAwards became a trending topic on Twitter after Vine sensation Cameron Dallas pointed out how he was notified that he won the Choice Viner six days before the voting ended.
"It's funny how they told me I won the viner award 6 days before the voting ended and made the runners up still vote to tweet for them," he wrote on Twitter but later deleted it. Dallas was apparently unhappy that YouTube personality Tyler Oakley beat him to be Choice Web Star: Male. "He already knew he was going to win that's why he didn't promote and that's why he didn't seem surprised," Dallas wrote in another post.
Vine star Matt Espinosa, who was also nominated for Choice Web Star: Male, wrote in his own Twitter account, "Basically they picked the people almost 6 days before voting was done and used all of us for promotion." Another Vine celebrity, Carter Reynolds, posted a similar message, "#TCAs is rigged. #TCAS2014 used all of us for promotion. What a joke."
Though some complained that the TCAs might be rigged, the show actually added a disclaimer on the screen at the end of the broadcast that explained how the voting process truly worked. One viewer noticed this and posted the screengrab.
The disclaimer read, "Winners for the Teen Choice Awards are determined using the votes cast on TeenChoiceAwards.com. Votes are tabulated electronically and winners are determined based on the nominees in each category with the highest number of eligible votes. [Production company] Teenasaurus Rox reserves the right to choose the winner from the top four vote getters. The Olay Fresh Effects Breakout Star Award and Ultimate Choice Award were both chosen by Teenasaurus Rox."
"Teen Wolf" actor Tyler Posey and "Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland hosted the prize-giving ceremony. "Pretty Little Liars" led the TV winners with six, Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort dominated the movie winners with their films "Divergent" and "The Fault in Our Stars", while One Direction was a big winner in music field.
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'
- Did Olivia Munn Just Throw Shade at Aaron Rodgers' Family?