'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel Likely to Be Axed After Robin Williams' Death
Robin Williams was previously expected to reprise his role as a cross-dressing nanny in "Mrs. Doubtfire 2", but his passing has cast a doubt on the potential sequel. According to Variety, no decision has been made but the project will likely be canceled after the actor was found dead.
Chris Columbus who directed the first film was set to return for the second one scripted by David Berenbaum ("Elf"). The director issued a statement to express his grief over Williams' sudden death, "We have lost one of our most inspired and gifted comic minds, as well as one of this generation's greatest actors."
"To watch Robin work, was a magical and special privilege. His performances were unlike anything any of us had ever seen, they came from some spiritual and otherworldly place. He truly was one of the few people who deserved the title of 'genius'."
He added. "We were friends for 21 years. Our children grew up together, he inspired us to spend our lives in San Francisco and I loved him like a brother. The world was a better place with Robin in it. And his beautiful legacy will live on forever."
Sally Field who played his on-screen wife in the film said, "I feel stunned and so sad about Robin. I'm sad for the world of comedy. And so very sad for his family. And I'm sad for Robin. He always lit up when he was able to make people laugh, and he made them laugh his whole life long.... tirelessly. He was one of a kind. There will not be another. Please God, let him now rest in peace."
Mara Wilson who portrayed his on-screen daughter tweeted, "Very sad, very upset, very glad I did not have to hear about this though Twitter. Probably going to be taking some time off it for a while."
Williams was found dead in his house on August 11 in apparent suicide. He was 63. His rep said the actor who struggled with cocaine and alcohol addictions in the past was "battling severe depression" before his passing. A month earlier, he returned to rehab to maintain his sobriety.
- 'Stranger Things': Here's What Upside Down Is According to the Child Actors
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Grab Breakfast Sans Kids Amid Rumor They Call Off Divorce
- Cheryl's Mom Fuels Rumors Singer Is Expecting a Child With Liam Payne
- Lionsgate Is Open for More 'Twilight' Sequels
- Cara Delevingne Nearly Topless in Ripped Top for Puma Campaign
- See Tom Brady Sunbathing Completely Naked During Vacation With Gisele Bundchen
- Everyone Is Excited to Meet Superman in New 'Supergirl' Season 2 Sneak Peeks
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch