Maisie Williams Reacts After Watching 'Saved by the Bell' for the First Time
"Saved by the Bell" may be one of the popular 1990s sitcoms that people are still talking about, but Maisie Williams doesn't find it interesting. The "Game of Thrones" star is one of teens who sat down with the Fine Brothers recently for a special video honoring the 25th anniversary of classic show, watching clips of the NBC series and commenting on them.
"I love how they had the title at the beginning of the titles and at the end of the titles, just in case you forgot what you were watching," the young star said after watching the opening credits set to a catchy theme song. "No, it's so embarrassing!" she reacted to a scene featuring Screech in a pineapple bra.
Williams, who had never watched the show before, found a plotline in which Kelly's (Tiffani-Amber Thiessen) face turned maroon but she still won the homecoming game unrealistic. "Everyone is horrible, and no one would vote [for] her if she had a maroon face," she said. "I'm sorry, Kelly, but your dreams are crushed in the real world."
The 17-year-old British actress was also unimpressed by the show's stereotypical portrayal of jocks and nerds. "They make them seem so dumb. That's so mean!" she commented on a scene featuring some spaced-out surfers. She added, "If this was, like, being fed to teenagers, that's not great."
The series sometimes also took on serious issues, such as when Jessie (Elizabeth Berkley) had a breakdown after admitting to being hooked on caffeine pills. "Aw, that's horrible," she said, apparently touched by the story. She said later, "Watching it was kind of over the top. But it grabbed your attention."
Asked whether this show would be a hit if it aired now, Williams replied, "No, no way."
More Maisie Williams News
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Confirms Return of Original Cast Member
- Report: Migos Beats Up Sean Kingston in Las Vegas Brawl
- 'Deadpool 2' Will Start Filming Soon, Kerry Washington Responds to Casting Rumors
- Ronda Rousey Is Set to Guest Star as Prison Inmate on 'Blindspot'
- Kim Kardashian's Terrified Family's Lavish Lifestyle 'Has Affected' Kanye West's Mental State
- French Montana Partying With Chris Brown and Migos in 'Hold Up' Music Video
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Was 'Racially Profiled' for Wearing Headscarf at Airport