Maisie Williams Reacts After Watching 'Saved by the Bell' for the First Time
"Saved by the Bell" may be one of the popular 1990s sitcoms that people are still talking about, but Maisie Williams doesn't find it interesting. The "Game of Thrones" star is one of teens who sat down with the Fine Brothers recently for a special video honoring the 25th anniversary of classic show, watching clips of the NBC series and commenting on them.
"I love how they had the title at the beginning of the titles and at the end of the titles, just in case you forgot what you were watching," the young star said after watching the opening credits set to a catchy theme song. "No, it's so embarrassing!" she reacted to a scene featuring Screech in a pineapple bra.
Williams, who had never watched the show before, found a plotline in which Kelly's (Tiffani-Amber Thiessen) face turned maroon but she still won the homecoming game unrealistic. "Everyone is horrible, and no one would vote [for] her if she had a maroon face," she said. "I'm sorry, Kelly, but your dreams are crushed in the real world."
The 17-year-old British actress was also unimpressed by the show's stereotypical portrayal of jocks and nerds. "They make them seem so dumb. That's so mean!" she commented on a scene featuring some spaced-out surfers. She added, "If this was, like, being fed to teenagers, that's not great."
The series sometimes also took on serious issues, such as when Jessie (Elizabeth Berkley) had a breakdown after admitting to being hooked on caffeine pills. "Aw, that's horrible," she said, apparently touched by the story. She said later, "Watching it was kind of over the top. But it grabbed your attention."
Asked whether this show would be a hit if it aired now, Williams replied, "No, no way."
More Maisie Williams News
- Chris Pratt Name Drops Jennifer Lawrence in Christmas-Themed Mad Lib Theater With Jimmy Fallon
- Drake and Aaliyah's Posthumous Collaboration 'Talk Is Cheap' Surfaces Online
- Tom Hanks Puts Emma Watson in Danger in 'The Circle' Teaser Trailer
- Mariah Carey Flaunts Her Curves in Peek-a-Boo Dress After Christmas Concert With Bryan Tanaka
- Watch Fiona Apple Sing Anti-Donald Trump Christmas Carol
- Sofia Vergara Gets Sued by Her Own Embryos as Legal Battle With Ex Continues
- Watch Shawn Mendes Cover Drake's 'Fake Love' on 'Live Lounge'
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Expecting First Child With Wife Joana Pak