Joan Rivers Says Her Comments About Dead Palestinians Were 'Taken Out of Context'
Joan Rivers backtracked her comments about Palestinians who lost their lives during Israel's air strikes, saying that they were taken out of context. In a statement released on her Facebook on Thursday, August 7, the comedian said, "I am both saddened and disappointed that my statement about the tragedy of civilian casualties was totally taken out of context."
"What I said and stand behind is, war is hell and unfortunately civilians are victims of political conflicts," she continued. "The media, as usual, has decided to only quote the most out of context and inflammatory non sequitur rather than giving an accurate account of what my intentions were behind the statement."
The "Fashion Star" host made the comments during a brief chat with a cameraman the previous day. "When you declare war, you declare war. They started it. We now don't count who's dead. You're dead. You deserve to be dead. You started it. You started it. Don't you dare make me feel sad about that," Rivers said when she was at LAX.
"You were told to get out, you don't get out, then you know you're an idiot, and at least the ones that were killed were the ones with very low IQs," she said further.
As reported by CNN, Palestinian Ministry of Health said that per Thursday there were 1,888 people, including 446 children, died and 9,804 people were injured because of the attacks in Gaza. Israeli officials said 64 soldiers and three civilians died in the ongoing conflicts.
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Heading to 'SNL' as First-Time Host
- 'Lion King' Gets a Remake From Disney and Jon Favreau
- Robin Hood Confirmed to Return for 'Once Upon a Time' Season 6
- New David Bowie Greatest Hits Album Announced
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos