Maroon 5 to Perform at MTV VMAs for the First Time
Maroon 5 is the latest addition to the line-up of performers for the upcoming 2014 MTV Video Music Awards. MTV announced on Wednesday, August 6 that the band, which will take the stage of the awards show for the first time, would perform a song from their upcoming fifth album "V".
The group confirmed the news in a message posted on their Facebook page. "We are so excited about our upcoming new album and to be part of the great VMA lineup this year. It is our first time doing the show and we are thrilled to be on it performing our new single," they said.
Although Maroon 5 has never performed at the VMAs before, the band has won some Moonman trophies in the past. They took home Best New Artist and Best Group Video in 2004, Best Group in 2007 and Best Pop Video for "Payphone" in 2007.
Maroon 5's excitement to perform at the VMAs came three years after frontman Adam Levine blasted the show on Twitter. "The VMA's. one day a year when MTV pretends to still care about music. I'm drawing a line in the sand. F**k you VMA's," the coach of "The Voice" wrote back in 2011.
"It's public knowledge that it's not a music channel," he said further in an interview with E! News. "It's become a huge promotional opportunity for artists, which is a good thing. I think that great artists were there and they were represented and there could have been more."
This year's MTV Video Music Awards will air live on MTV on August 24 at 09:00 P.M. from The Forum in Inglewood, California. Other performers include Usher, Ariana Grande, 5 Seconds of Summer and Taylor Swift.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story