Artist of the Week: MAGIC!
MAGIC! has cast a spell over music lovers around the world. The Canadian reggae fusion band can now call themselves one of the hottest bands on the planet following the huge success of their debut single "Rude".
Released in October 2013, the lead single of their first album "Don't Kill the Magic" topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on July 26, dethroning Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" which had ruled the chart for multiple weeks. It marks the first reggae-identified track that has topped the chart since Sean Paul's 2003 dancehall banger "Get Busy".
The group's sudden rise to stardom is partly a contribution from frontman Nasri, who has made a name in the industry as a Grammy Award winning songwriter and producer. Together with Adam Messinger (together known as The Messengers), he has produced tracks for such superstars as Justin Bieber, Shakira, Pitbull, Christina Aguilera and Chris Brown.
Nasri recently shared how it felt to transition from behind the scenes to taking the center stage. "It feels good. It feels natural," he said. "The only reason why I wrote for anybody else was to survive; to make some money. I didn't think it would get that big. So I kind of discovered that whatever I put my mind to, I get extreme and I get into it and I make it happen."
The band, which also consists of Mark Pelli, Ben Spivak and Alex Tanas, released their debut album on July 1 in the States. Prior to the album release, lead singer Nasri had promised that fans would listen to "good songs" in the set, explaining, "We take pride in our song writing and really picky about what is goes on the album."
Sharing their plans for 2014, Nasri said, "We plan to tour a lot in 2014 and spreading the album and making new friends."
For now, the Toronto-based band should be proud that a renowned artist has acknowledged their work as Russian-German DJ Zedd recently remixed their hit single "Rude" at Lollapalooza.
"Rude" Remix by Zedd:
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage