Zombie Survival Game Adaptation 'Dead Island' Brought Back to Life
Back in 2011, it was announced that Deep Silver video game "Dead Island" was going to the big screen after Lionsgate won its movie rights but nothing ever took off. The project is now brought back to life by indie production Occupant Entertainment and publisher Deep Silver.
According to Deadline, "Dead Island" was bought by Occupant when its movie rights was thrown back into the market. The two companies have teamed up to package, produce, and finance a new film based on the bestselling video game about survivors of zombie attack on a vacation island.
"Deep Silver has created a highly successful game franchise based on very cinematic, widely viewed and well received trailers, which provide a great template for launching a film franchise with a distinctive and commercial take on the zombie apocalypse," said Occupant partners Joe Neurauter and Felipe Marino. "We want to find the right filmmaker and present somewhat of an open canvas, to make something distinct and original that also appeals to and expands the core audience."
They will give the project an early 2015 start and may launch the title at such festivals as Berlin or Cannes.
"Dead Island" made a huge buzz when it released its trailer in February 2011 and racked up 1 million YouTube views in one day. The game features four playable characters fighting off the undeads with melee weapons and firearms. A sequel titled "Escape Dead Island" will be released in Fall this year.
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters
- Choa Announces She's Leaving AOA, Insists It's Not Because She's Pregnant
- Will Jared Leto Reprise The Joker Role for Harley Quinn Spin-Off?
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Posts Lowest Opening in the Franchise
- Ashton Kutcher Claims He Had Hooking Up Agreement With Mila Kunis
- Free the Nipple! Stella Maxwell Goes Braless in Racy Mesh Top
- DeMario Jackson Not Returning to 'Bachelor in Paradise' After Scandal. What About Corinne Olympios?
- Johnny Depp Jokes About Assassinating Donald Trump: 'Maybe It's Time'