'The Wire' Actor Anwan Glover Stabbed and Beaten in D.C. Nightclub
Anwan Glover was beaten by two strangers while hanging out at Cafe Asia in Washington D.C. on early Sunday morning, August 3. The actor, famous for his role on HBO's "The Wire", is undergoing some treatment at George Washington University Hospital for his injury.
The Washington Post reported that Glover was in a very crowded area on the second floor at Cafe Asia when an unknown person punched him. The actor turned to face the person but he felt another person hit him on the back of his head. Glover fell to the wet floor and was kicked multiple times. He heard someone screamed, "He has a knife!" He then felt a sharp pain in his right side and went down.
Another assault was reported at the same restaurant about 20 minutes before the attack on Glover. The victim of the previous assault was a 37-year-old woman. She told police that she was having an argument with a stranger when he punched her in the mouth. A D.C. police officer said there was no reason to believe that the two attacks were related.
Glover, who also appeared in "12 Years a Slave" and "LUV", was taken to George Washington University Hospital with bruises and laceration on the right side of his torso. "He is in stable condition," his rep told E! News, "doctors expect a full and fast recovery." The rep added that Glover appreciated everyone's concern about his condition, saying, "It's helping him get through this."
According to a representative for the actor, the crime's still a total mystery. "He has no idea who did it, or why," the rep said. Police are currently investigating the incident.
Glover played tough gangster Slim Charles on "The Wire". In real life, he actively participates in anti-violence campaigns. He has spoken about his personal encounters with violence while growing up in the tough D.C. neighborhood of Columbia Heights. He'd been shot 13 times in his youth. Glover's brother was shot and killed in 2007 and his son was injured at a shooting during a pool party in 2011.
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 4: Coaches Round Out Teams of 8. See Who Makes the Cut!
- Missing His Family? Brad Pitt 'Secretly Joined' Angelina Jolie and Kids on Recent Cambodia Trip
- First Gloomy Footage of 'Annihilation' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- 'Bones' Showrunner on Series Finale: 'It's the End, but It's Not the End'
- Spider-Man May Leave Marvel Cinematic Universe After 'Spiderman: Homecoming' Sequel
- Harry Styles to Make Debut as Solo Artist on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman Reunite for NBC's Competition Series 'Handmade Project'
- Mila Kunis Debuts Amazing Post-Baby Body, 4 Months After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri