'Guardians of the Galaxy' Surpasses Box Office Predictions With $94 Million Debut
Box Office analyst initially predicted "Guardians of the Galaxy" would earn between $60 million and $75 million in North America, but the comic book adaptation easily surpassed the numbers over the weekend. It racked up a staggering $94 million, becoming top August debut of all time in North America.
It was another big victory for Marvel that won the box office for the seventh time in 19 weeks. "Guardians of the Galaxy" became the third-highest movie opening of the year behind "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Transformers: Age of Extinction". It also easily surpassed the $69.3 million August bow of 2007's "The Bourne Ultimatum".
With an A CinemaScore, the film starring Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana among others, showed the signs of winning the box office early by earning 2.5 times weekend multiplier. Walt Disney Studios' executive vice president of theatrical distribution Dave Hollis credited the right timing to promote the film. "It's a testament to the momentum of the brand overall and all of the pieces just coming together in the right way," Hollis said, adding "We were able to heat things up to white hot levels and use those final days as a call to arms."
"Guardians of the Galaxy" also performed well overseas by taking $66.4 million from 42 territories such as U.K., Russia and Mexico. It has earned $160.4 million worldwide and still has major markets left to open such as China, Australia, and France. "Thank you everyone watching #GuardiansOfTheGalaxy this weekend! We're all so happy that people are loving it," Pratt wrote on his Facebook page.
Elsewhere on the weekend box office, last week's champion "Lucy" stepped down to the second position with $18.2 million. New entry "Get on Up" debuted to $14 million and landed at number 3 while "Hercules" added $10.7 million and sat at the fourth position. Rounding up the top 5 was "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" with $8.7 million.
- "Guardians of the Galaxy" - $94 million
- "Lucy" - $18.2 million
- "Get on Up" - $14 million
- "Hercules" - $10.7 million
- "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - $8.7 million
- "Planes: Fire & Rescue" - $6.4 million
- "The Purge: Anarchy" - $5.6 million
- "Sex Tape" - $3.6 million
- "And So It Goes" - $ 3.3 million
- "A Most Wanted Man" - $ 3.3 million
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie