'American Idol' Alum Michael Johns Passed Away at 35
Former "American Idol" contestant Michael Johns died Friday, August 1. His manager confirmed his passing in a statement, "It is with a heavy heart and inconsolable sadness that we confirm the passing of our friend Michael Johns."
His family said, "Our family is devastated by the passing of our beloved Michael, a wonderful husband, son, brother, uncle, and friend. We appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from all corners of the globe. Please keep Michael in your thoughts and respect our need to grieve privately in this difficult time."
According to his close friend Torrey Gimball, Johns was suffering from pain in his leg before his passing. "My mom took him into the emergency room," his pal told E! News. "He had complained about his leg hurting him, he thought it might be a blood clot because it had bruised pretty badly and he never hurt his leg."
Condolences were pouring in from the "Idol" family. Simon Cowell tweeted, "A truly great guy. Rest in peace Michael," while Randy Jackson wrote, "So Sad. Too soon. Thank you for sharing your talents with us." Paula Abdul said, "I'm so torn up over the news about Michael Johns. Michael was not just an amazing talent, he was an incredible human being who was so full of life that the notion of it stopping is incomprehensible to me. His echo will live on forever..."
Fellow "Idol" alums like Jessica Sanchez, Danny Gokey, Ace Young, David Cook also paid tribute to the late singer/songwriter. Diane Warren who once collaborated with him was among the mourners as well, along with Josh Groban.
Johns participated in the seventh season of and finished in eighth place. He was 35.
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick