Kathie Lee Gifford Working on 'Today' Musical
A "Today" musical is in the works. Kathie Lee Gifford officially announced it on Friday morning, August 1 on the NBC morning show. Titled "Not Today and Tomorrow's Not Looking Good Either", it is planned to premiere sometime later this year.
Gifford writes the play and composes the music with David Friedman. She said she had been working on it since January. It will run 18 minutes, feature the "Today" staff and have a guest appearance by her former morning show partner Regis Philbin.
"You're going to be surprised," Gifford hyped it up. When she made the announcement, Philbin co-hosted "Today" show with her as a stand-in for Hoda Kotb.
Gifford is no stranger to musical theater. She previously worked with Friedman, writing a junior high school musical "Key Pin It Real". She also wrote off-Broadway play "Under the Bridge" and penned Broadway's "Scandalous". Actress Carolee Carmello earned her third Tony nomination last year for her performance on the stage musical.
NBC itself is home to the successful live production of "The Sound of Music" which starred Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer. The network will follow it up with another live musical "Peter Pan" starring Christopher Walken and Allison Williams.
More Today News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie