Kathie Lee Gifford Working on 'Today' Musical
A "Today" musical is in the works. Kathie Lee Gifford officially announced it on Friday morning, August 1 on the NBC morning show. Titled "Not Today and Tomorrow's Not Looking Good Either", it is planned to premiere sometime later this year.
Gifford writes the play and composes the music with David Friedman. She said she had been working on it since January. It will run 18 minutes, feature the "Today" staff and have a guest appearance by her former morning show partner Regis Philbin.
"You're going to be surprised," Gifford hyped it up. When she made the announcement, Philbin co-hosted "Today" show with her as a stand-in for Hoda Kotb.
Gifford is no stranger to musical theater. She previously worked with Friedman, writing a junior high school musical "Key Pin It Real". She also wrote off-Broadway play "Under the Bridge" and penned Broadway's "Scandalous". Actress Carolee Carmello earned her third Tony nomination last year for her performance on the stage musical.
NBC itself is home to the successful live production of "The Sound of Music" which starred Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer. The network will follow it up with another live musical "Peter Pan" starring Christopher Walken and Allison Williams.
- Justin Theroux Joins 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Mischa Barton Reveals Emotional Abuse and Blackmail by Ex-Boyfriend Who Leaked Her Sex Tape
- Jordan Peele Eyed to Direct Manga Adaptation 'Akira'
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 New Teaser Shows 'Long Walk' to the Throne
- 'Avengers' Helmer Joss Whedon to Direct, Write and Produce 'Batgirl'
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App