Kathie Lee Gifford Working on 'Today' Musical
A "Today" musical is in the works. Kathie Lee Gifford officially announced it on Friday morning, August 1 on the NBC morning show. Titled "Not Today and Tomorrow's Not Looking Good Either", it is planned to premiere sometime later this year.
Gifford writes the play and composes the music with David Friedman. She said she had been working on it since January. It will run 18 minutes, feature the "Today" staff and have a guest appearance by her former morning show partner Regis Philbin.
"You're going to be surprised," Gifford hyped it up. When she made the announcement, Philbin co-hosted "Today" show with her as a stand-in for Hoda Kotb.
Gifford is no stranger to musical theater. She previously worked with Friedman, writing a junior high school musical "Key Pin It Real". She also wrote off-Broadway play "Under the Bridge" and penned Broadway's "Scandalous". Actress Carolee Carmello earned her third Tony nomination last year for her performance on the stage musical.
NBC itself is home to the successful live production of "The Sound of Music" which starred Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer. The network will follow it up with another live musical "Peter Pan" starring Christopher Walken and Allison Williams.
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs