Kathie Lee Gifford Working on 'Today' Musical
A "Today" musical is in the works. Kathie Lee Gifford officially announced it on Friday morning, August 1 on the NBC morning show. Titled "Not Today and Tomorrow's Not Looking Good Either", it is planned to premiere sometime later this year.
Gifford writes the play and composes the music with David Friedman. She said she had been working on it since January. It will run 18 minutes, feature the "Today" staff and have a guest appearance by her former morning show partner Regis Philbin.
"You're going to be surprised," Gifford hyped it up. When she made the announcement, Philbin co-hosted "Today" show with her as a stand-in for Hoda Kotb.
Gifford is no stranger to musical theater. She previously worked with Friedman, writing a junior high school musical "Key Pin It Real". She also wrote off-Broadway play "Under the Bridge" and penned Broadway's "Scandalous". Actress Carolee Carmello earned her third Tony nomination last year for her performance on the stage musical.
NBC itself is home to the successful live production of "The Sound of Music" which starred Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer. The network will follow it up with another live musical "Peter Pan" starring Christopher Walken and Allison Williams.
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation