Kathie Lee Gifford Working on 'Today' Musical
A "Today" musical is in the works. Kathie Lee Gifford officially announced it on Friday morning, August 1 on the NBC morning show. Titled "Not Today and Tomorrow's Not Looking Good Either", it is planned to premiere sometime later this year.
Gifford writes the play and composes the music with David Friedman. She said she had been working on it since January. It will run 18 minutes, feature the "Today" staff and have a guest appearance by her former morning show partner Regis Philbin.
"You're going to be surprised," Gifford hyped it up. When she made the announcement, Philbin co-hosted "Today" show with her as a stand-in for Hoda Kotb.
Gifford is no stranger to musical theater. She previously worked with Friedman, writing a junior high school musical "Key Pin It Real". She also wrote off-Broadway play "Under the Bridge" and penned Broadway's "Scandalous". Actress Carolee Carmello earned her third Tony nomination last year for her performance on the stage musical.
NBC itself is home to the successful live production of "The Sound of Music" which starred Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer. The network will follow it up with another live musical "Peter Pan" starring Christopher Walken and Allison Williams.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers