R. Kelly Removed From Ohio Festival's Line-Up After Protests
R. Kelly is no longer expected to headline an upcoming music festival in Columbus, Ohio. Fashion Meets Music Festival decided to drop the singer from its line-up of performers following numerous complaints over his controversial past.
The decision was announced by the festival's organizers on Monday, July 28. "FMMF and R. Kelly have decided to part ways. Thank you for your support, we look forward to seeing you next month," they tweeted.
Kelly's publisher has issued a statement saying that the star is "sorry" for the canceled gig. "R. Kelly is sorry to disappoint his fans, but looks forward to seeing them in the near future during one of his upcoming tours," the statement read.
Kelly was supposed to play on the opening day of the inaugural Fashion Meets Music Festival over Labor Day weekend. After he was announced as a performer, fans posted their complaints on Twitter and Facebook. Most of them took issue with his child pornography charges.
"That's why we are upset. Support victims of sexual abuse and don't ignore them," a fan complained. Another added, "Accepting R Kelly as an artist is to ignore the fundamental basics of human dignity. It's not like he's just a player and folks don't dig it. A very real line was very clearly crossed and this is how we choose to express our disdain for the deeds and support for the victims."
The festival will still go on as planned with headliners including O.A.R. and Michelle Williams (II).
More R. Kelly News
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters