Joaquin Phoenix Could Be Marvel's Doctor Strange
Joaquin Phoenix is the latest name thrown in the bag of Doctor Strange casting. The Oscar-nominated actor is reportedly in talks to be the titular character in Marvel's "Dr. Strange". The character had been briefly mentioned in "Thor" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
Nothing is set in stone yet, but The Wrap reported that Phoenix is strongly considering the role and has had discussions about the movie. The role was previously linked to such actors as Benedict Cumberbatch, Jared Leto and Tom Hardy, but none of them came to fruition.
Cumberbatch recently said that he's having a busy year that may conflict with the role. "As far as I'm aware, even if that was the case, it couldn't work out because I'm doing a little play called 'Hamlet' in London. So I don't think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It's a shame if I miss out, but who knows?" he said.
"Dr. Strange" is to be directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts currently rewriting the script. The film is slated to be released in 2016 and is expected to get details during Marvel's Comic Con panel on Saturday, July 26 night.
More Doctor Strange News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences