Joaquin Phoenix Could Be Marvel's Doctor Strange
Joaquin Phoenix is the latest name thrown in the bag of Doctor Strange casting. The Oscar-nominated actor is reportedly in talks to be the titular character in Marvel's "Dr. Strange". The character had been briefly mentioned in "Thor" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
Nothing is set in stone yet, but The Wrap reported that Phoenix is strongly considering the role and has had discussions about the movie. The role was previously linked to such actors as Benedict Cumberbatch, Jared Leto and Tom Hardy, but none of them came to fruition.
Cumberbatch recently said that he's having a busy year that may conflict with the role. "As far as I'm aware, even if that was the case, it couldn't work out because I'm doing a little play called 'Hamlet' in London. So I don't think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It's a shame if I miss out, but who knows?" he said.
"Dr. Strange" is to be directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts currently rewriting the script. The film is slated to be released in 2016 and is expected to get details during Marvel's Comic Con panel on Saturday, July 26 night.
More Doctor Strange News
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says