Joaquin Phoenix Could Be Marvel's Doctor Strange
Joaquin Phoenix is the latest name thrown in the bag of Doctor Strange casting. The Oscar-nominated actor is reportedly in talks to be the titular character in Marvel's "Dr. Strange". The character had been briefly mentioned in "Thor" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
Nothing is set in stone yet, but The Wrap reported that Phoenix is strongly considering the role and has had discussions about the movie. The role was previously linked to such actors as Benedict Cumberbatch, Jared Leto and Tom Hardy, but none of them came to fruition.
Cumberbatch recently said that he's having a busy year that may conflict with the role. "As far as I'm aware, even if that was the case, it couldn't work out because I'm doing a little play called 'Hamlet' in London. So I don't think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It's a shame if I miss out, but who knows?" he said.
"Dr. Strange" is to be directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts currently rewriting the script. The film is slated to be released in 2016 and is expected to get details during Marvel's Comic Con panel on Saturday, July 26 night.
More Doctor Strange News
- Solange Releases 'A Seat at the Table' Album Featuring Lil Wayne and Kelly Rowland
- 'The Bachelor': Get Details of Nick Viall's Carnival Date
- Is That a Baby Bump? Christina Aguilera Looks Pregnant When Attending Drake's Concert
- Yes, Jessica Biel Eats in the Shower and She Wants You to Try It Too
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Gets Official Synopsis, First Footage Is Coming to NYCC
- Iggy Azalea Pushes Back 'Digital Distortion' Release to 2017, Cites Nick Young Drama
- Ben Affleck Says Taylor Swift Was Like 'God' When His Kids Met Her
- Kendall Jenner Unveils New Lip Tattoo