Joaquin Phoenix Could Be Marvel's Doctor Strange
Joaquin Phoenix is the latest name thrown in the bag of Doctor Strange casting. The Oscar-nominated actor is reportedly in talks to be the titular character in Marvel's "Dr. Strange". The character had been briefly mentioned in "Thor" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".
Nothing is set in stone yet, but The Wrap reported that Phoenix is strongly considering the role and has had discussions about the movie. The role was previously linked to such actors as Benedict Cumberbatch, Jared Leto and Tom Hardy, but none of them came to fruition.
Cumberbatch recently said that he's having a busy year that may conflict with the role. "As far as I'm aware, even if that was the case, it couldn't work out because I'm doing a little play called 'Hamlet' in London. So I don't think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It's a shame if I miss out, but who knows?" he said.
"Dr. Strange" is to be directed by Scott Derrickson with Jon Spaihts currently rewriting the script. The film is slated to be released in 2016 and is expected to get details during Marvel's Comic Con panel on Saturday, July 26 night.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival