Audra McDonald Opens Up About Past Suicide Attempt
"Private Practice" star Audra McDonald tried to kill herself once. The Tony-winning actress revealed the suicidal chapter in her life during an interview for "Popcorn with Peter Travers". "When I was [in college] at Julliard, I had a suicide attempt," she said. "I tried to slit my wrist."
"When someone is suicidal, one of the first things you have to do is to protect them from themselves," she added. "They had a mental health facilitator there, a therapist there, and they checked me into a mental health hospital where I was for a month and got me the help I needed."
McDonald, 44, said antidepressants and career opportunities helped her deal with depression. She is now happily married to actor Will Swenson and becomes one of the most decorated stars in Broadway. She has a daughter from her previous marriage to Peter Donovan.
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign