Audra McDonald Opens Up About Past Suicide Attempt
"Private Practice" star Audra McDonald tried to kill herself once. The Tony-winning actress revealed the suicidal chapter in her life during an interview for "Popcorn with Peter Travers". "When I was [in college] at Julliard, I had a suicide attempt," she said. "I tried to slit my wrist."
"When someone is suicidal, one of the first things you have to do is to protect them from themselves," she added. "They had a mental health facilitator there, a therapist there, and they checked me into a mental health hospital where I was for a month and got me the help I needed."
McDonald, 44, said antidepressants and career opportunities helped her deal with depression. She is now happily married to actor Will Swenson and becomes one of the most decorated stars in Broadway. She has a daughter from her previous marriage to Peter Donovan.
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series
- Pregnant Alanis Morissette Completely Naked in This Beautiful Underwater Photo
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand