Audra McDonald Opens Up About Past Suicide Attempt
"Private Practice" star Audra McDonald tried to kill herself once. The Tony-winning actress revealed the suicidal chapter in her life during an interview for "Popcorn with Peter Travers". "When I was [in college] at Julliard, I had a suicide attempt," she said. "I tried to slit my wrist."
"When someone is suicidal, one of the first things you have to do is to protect them from themselves," she added. "They had a mental health facilitator there, a therapist there, and they checked me into a mental health hospital where I was for a month and got me the help I needed."
McDonald, 44, said antidepressants and career opportunities helped her deal with depression. She is now happily married to actor Will Swenson and becomes one of the most decorated stars in Broadway. She has a daughter from her previous marriage to Peter Donovan.
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered
- Wham! and Chris Martin Pay Tribute to George Michael at BRIT Awards
- Tom Cruise Reportedly Ready to Reconnect With Daughter Suri After Years Apart
- Hugh Jackman Rules Out Wolverine/Deadpool Movie