Audra McDonald Opens Up About Past Suicide Attempt
"Private Practice" star Audra McDonald tried to kill herself once. The Tony-winning actress revealed the suicidal chapter in her life during an interview for "Popcorn with Peter Travers". "When I was [in college] at Julliard, I had a suicide attempt," she said. "I tried to slit my wrist."
"When someone is suicidal, one of the first things you have to do is to protect them from themselves," she added. "They had a mental health facilitator there, a therapist there, and they checked me into a mental health hospital where I was for a month and got me the help I needed."
McDonald, 44, said antidepressants and career opportunities helped her deal with depression. She is now happily married to actor Will Swenson and becomes one of the most decorated stars in Broadway. She has a daughter from her previous marriage to Peter Donovan.
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame
- Blac Chyna Plans Plastic Surgery Makeover to Match Her Post-Baby Body
- Melania Trump 'Fixes' Her Hair as Donald Trump Tries to Hold Her Hand
- Bella Hadid Enjoys Dinner Date With Mystery Hunk in Rome and Leaves With Bouquet of Roses
- Kourtney Kardashian and Kendall Jenner Are Denied Access to Party in France
- Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi Having a Baby to Save 'Stormy' Marriage