Audra McDonald Opens Up About Past Suicide Attempt
"Private Practice" star Audra McDonald tried to kill herself once. The Tony-winning actress revealed the suicidal chapter in her life during an interview for "Popcorn with Peter Travers". "When I was [in college] at Julliard, I had a suicide attempt," she said. "I tried to slit my wrist."
"When someone is suicidal, one of the first things you have to do is to protect them from themselves," she added. "They had a mental health facilitator there, a therapist there, and they checked me into a mental health hospital where I was for a month and got me the help I needed."
McDonald, 44, said antidepressants and career opportunities helped her deal with depression. She is now happily married to actor Will Swenson and becomes one of the most decorated stars in Broadway. She has a daughter from her previous marriage to Peter Donovan.
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour