Linda Perry Questions Beyonce's Songwriting Skill
Linda Perry is clearly not a fan of Beyonce Knowles' "songwriting." During a July 17 Reddit AMA to promote her new VH1 talent show "Make or Break", the songwriter was asked whether it bothered her that Bey got writing credit just by changing "one word on a song."
"Well hahaha um that's not songwriting," she answered before explaining that sometimes Beyonce and other artists like her would take the songwriting credits because they thought it's their fame that made the song popular.
"But some of these artists believe if it wasn't for them, your song would never get out there. So they take a cut just because they are who they are," she continued. "But everyone knows the real truth even Beyonce. She is talented but in a completely different way."
Perry is not the first person to have doubted Beyonce's "songwriting" skill. However, those who have collaborated with Jay-Z's wife are defending her, saying that she deserves the credit.
Take Ne-Yo for example. The singer, who co-wrote Beyonce's hit "Irreplaceable", revealed in a 2012 interview that the former Destiny's Child member got the songwriting credit for only writing the background harmonies for the song. "So yeah, I gave her writer's credit, because that counts. That's writing," he said.
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Ties the Knot with Joana Pak
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Childbirth Class - Here Is Why!
- 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
- 'Glee' Star Becca Tobin Marries Zach Martin - Check Out Her Wedding Pics!
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies
- 'Sense8' Announces Premiere Dates for Christmas Special and Season 2
- Watch: Shawn Mendes Makes His 'SNL' Debut