Rihanna Deletes Her '#FreePalestine' Tweet, Says She Wants Peace for Both Countries
Rihanna took side in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict by tweeting "#FreePalestine" on July 15. The tweet was posted shortly after the cease fire between Hamas and Israel fell apart and immediately was commented by her fans asking if she supported Hamas. 8 minutes later, the message was gone from her Twitter feed. It had received 4,781 favorites and 6,848 retweets before disappearing.
A source close to the singer told TMZ that the singer never intended to post that tweet and initially she wasn't even aware of the tweet. "She deleted it because it was never meant to be tweeted," the source said, "She didn't even realize it was a tweet until she started hearing from her fans."
According to the same source, Rihanna was reading an online article about the raging conflict in the Middle East. The tweet was automatically generated when she clicked the story link. The source also said that the 26-year-old singer's neither pro-Israel or pro-Palestine, saying, "She is pro-peace. She doesn't want innocent people dying."
Later, Rihanna followed it up with a message calling for peace and an end to the conflict. She tweeted an image of an Israeli and a Palestinian boy with their arms around each other. The singer captioned it with, "Let's pray for peace and a swift end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! Is there any hope?"
In October 2013, the singer sparked a controversy during her concert in Tel Aviv, Israel. Some people reported that Rihanna changed her song's lyrics from "All I see is dollar signs" into "All I see is Palestine" when performing "Pour It Up". Turned out, the singer was just misheard.
Let's pray for peace and a swift end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! Is there any hope?.... pic.twitter.com/jHD56KXkcu— Rihanna (@rihanna) July 15, 2014
More Rihanna News
- Watch Juicy J and Kanye West in 'Ballin' Video
- Tina Fey Suggested Alec Baldwin to Play Donald Trump on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Watch Ben Affleck and Matt Damon Hilariously Argue Over Who's Closer to Tom Brady
- Daisy Ridley, Judi Dench and More A-Listers Join Johnny Depp in 'Murder on the Orient Express'
- Confirmed! Lady GaGa Is Headlining 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Oops! Cher Accidentally Retweets a Dick Pic
- No More Bad Blood! Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Are Texting Again
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young