Rihanna Deletes Her '#FreePalestine' Tweet, Says She Wants Peace for Both Countries
Rihanna took side in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict by tweeting "#FreePalestine" on July 15. The tweet was posted shortly after the cease fire between Hamas and Israel fell apart and immediately was commented by her fans asking if she supported Hamas. 8 minutes later, the message was gone from her Twitter feed. It had received 4,781 favorites and 6,848 retweets before disappearing.
A source close to the singer told TMZ that the singer never intended to post that tweet and initially she wasn't even aware of the tweet. "She deleted it because it was never meant to be tweeted," the source said, "She didn't even realize it was a tweet until she started hearing from her fans."
According to the same source, Rihanna was reading an online article about the raging conflict in the Middle East. The tweet was automatically generated when she clicked the story link. The source also said that the 26-year-old singer's neither pro-Israel or pro-Palestine, saying, "She is pro-peace. She doesn't want innocent people dying."
Later, Rihanna followed it up with a message calling for peace and an end to the conflict. She tweeted an image of an Israeli and a Palestinian boy with their arms around each other. The singer captioned it with, "Let's pray for peace and a swift end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! Is there any hope?"
In October 2013, the singer sparked a controversy during her concert in Tel Aviv, Israel. Some people reported that Rihanna changed her song's lyrics from "All I see is dollar signs" into "All I see is Palestine" when performing "Pour It Up". Turned out, the singer was just misheard.
Let's pray for peace and a swift end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! Is there any hope?.... pic.twitter.com/jHD56KXkcu— Rihanna (@rihanna) July 15, 2014
More Rihanna News
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'