Nickelodeon's 'Sam and Cat' Canceled After One Season Following Behind-the-Scenes Drama
"Sam & Cat" is officially dead. Nickelodeon announced on Sunday, July 13 that it canceled the teen sitcom after only one season. "Nickelodeon will not be producing more episodes of 'Sam & Cat.' We are very proud of the show and its very talented cast and we wish them all the best," the network said in a statement.
The last produced episode titled "#Getting Wiggy" is promoted as the final episode and will air Thursday, July 17. The last four episodes of the 40-episode order were never shot. The show will continue airing on the network in repeats.
Star Ariana Grande wrote a lengthy statement on Facebook after the news was made official. "I want to thank Nickelodeon for making a childhood dream of mine come true, for being a family to me, for being so accommodating and supportive of my multitasking with my music career, and for of course introducing me to many of my fans however many years ago," part of the statement read.
The cancellation comes following report of on-set feud. After Nickelodeon extended the season to 40 episodes, emotions were running high as the stars and crew felt exhausted and taken advantage of. Additionally, lead actresses Grande and Jennette McCurdy were reportedly feeling constrained at the kids-focused network and ready to move on with their respective career.
Back in April, McCurdy denied that she was feuding with Grande, but accused Nickelodeon of an unfair treatment. Words were, she was unhappy that she made less money than her co-star Grande and the network refused her request for pay rise.
"Sam & Cat" is a crossover spin-off to "iCarly" and "Victorious", which both aired on the network. McCurdy starred opposite Miranda Cosgrove on "iCarly" while Grande co-starred Victoria Justice on "Victorious".
- Rob Kardashian Crushing on His Own Sister Kim When He Was Young
- Zack Snyder Hints at Deathstroke's Cameo in 'Justice League'
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Were 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!