Veteran Bollywood Actress Zohra Sehgal Dies at 102
Acclaimed Indian actress and dancer Zohra Sehgal, whose career in the entertainment industry spanned more than seven decades, has passed away at the age of 102. According to BBC News, Sehgal had been ill for a few days and had a heart attack on Thursday, July 10.
Many Indian celebrities took to social media to pay tribute to the beloved actress who also appeared in "Bend It Like Beckham", starring Keira Knightley and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. Actor Amitabh Bachchan who worked with her in "Cheeni Kum" as her son wrote on Twitter, "What a journey and what an immensely loveable co-star! Prayers for her blessed soul!!"
"A journey of million miles overloaded with smiles. Even at a 100 plus I have yet to meet a naughtier young girl..will miss you Zohra...," actor Shah Rukh Khan added. Actress Priyanka Chopra, meanwhile, wrote, "102 and a legacy that will always be a part of Indian cinema. It was an honour to know #ZohraSehgal and to b a part of films while she was. RIP."
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also joined the pouring tribute. "Zohra Sehgal made a mark through her acting, which is admired across generations. Saddened on her demise," he said.
Sehgal started her career as a dancer in the 1930s and also performed on theaters. She probably is mostly remembered for her appearance in Hindi films such as "Dil Se (From the Heart)" and "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (I Have Given My Heart, Darling)". She additionally worked with stars such as Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley in "The Honorary Consul" and "Harem" respectively.
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism