Azealia Banks Finally Leaves Universal Records
Azealia Banks finally gets what she wants. The raptress, who made more headlines for her feuds with fellow artists than her music, took to Twitter on Thursday, July 10 to announce that she'd departed Universal Records which she joined back in 2012.
"IM ABOUT TO GET OUT OF MY DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS THE BIG SURPRISE!!!! I'm feeling like miss celie at the end of color purple... Free at last," she wrote. "I'm gonna have a fresh start. I'm so excited!!!!" No official announcement has been made by the label.
Banks was signed to Universal Records following the success of her debut single, "212". Her debut album, "Broke With Expensive Taste", was never released but it spawned singles "Yung Rapunxel" and Pharrell Williams-assisted "ATM Jam".
In January, Banks expressed her desire to part ways with Universal and join Sony Music in a series of Twitter posts. "I'm literally begging to be dropped from Universal," she wrote. "Universal needs to just hand me over to another label who knows what to do with me."
"I'm tired of having to consult a group of old white guys about my black girl craft. they don't even know what they're listening for or to ... Can someone at Sony buy me off of Universal please?? I'm really in hell here," she added.
More Azealia Banks News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris