Azealia Banks Finally Leaves Universal Records
Azealia Banks finally gets what she wants. The raptress, who made more headlines for her feuds with fellow artists than her music, took to Twitter on Thursday, July 10 to announce that she'd departed Universal Records which she joined back in 2012.
"IM ABOUT TO GET OUT OF MY DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS THE BIG SURPRISE!!!! I'm feeling like miss celie at the end of color purple... Free at last," she wrote. "I'm gonna have a fresh start. I'm so excited!!!!" No official announcement has been made by the label.
Banks was signed to Universal Records following the success of her debut single, "212". Her debut album, "Broke With Expensive Taste", was never released but it spawned singles "Yung Rapunxel" and Pharrell Williams-assisted "ATM Jam".
In January, Banks expressed her desire to part ways with Universal and join Sony Music in a series of Twitter posts. "I'm literally begging to be dropped from Universal," she wrote. "Universal needs to just hand me over to another label who knows what to do with me."
"I'm tired of having to consult a group of old white guys about my black girl craft. they don't even know what they're listening for or to ... Can someone at Sony buy me off of Universal please?? I'm really in hell here," she added.
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease
- CL's Boobs Almost Pop Out of Her Plunging Black Dress at Chanel Exhibition
- 'Venom' to Feature Carnage as Its Main Villain
- Christina Perri Announces Engagement to Boyfriend Paul Costabile - See the Beautiful Ring!
- Is Kendall Jenner Feuding With Victoria's Secret Models?
- New 'Blade Runner 2049' Featurette Brings Harrison Ford Home, Hints at Uninvited Guest