Azealia Banks Finally Leaves Universal Records
Azealia Banks finally gets what she wants. The raptress, who made more headlines for her feuds with fellow artists than her music, took to Twitter on Thursday, July 10 to announce that she'd departed Universal Records which she joined back in 2012.
"IM ABOUT TO GET OUT OF MY DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS THE BIG SURPRISE!!!! I'm feeling like miss celie at the end of color purple... Free at last," she wrote. "I'm gonna have a fresh start. I'm so excited!!!!" No official announcement has been made by the label.
Banks was signed to Universal Records following the success of her debut single, "212". Her debut album, "Broke With Expensive Taste", was never released but it spawned singles "Yung Rapunxel" and Pharrell Williams-assisted "ATM Jam".
In January, Banks expressed her desire to part ways with Universal and join Sony Music in a series of Twitter posts. "I'm literally begging to be dropped from Universal," she wrote. "Universal needs to just hand me over to another label who knows what to do with me."
"I'm tired of having to consult a group of old white guys about my black girl craft. they don't even know what they're listening for or to ... Can someone at Sony buy me off of Universal please?? I'm really in hell here," she added.
More Azealia Banks News
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance Lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle