Laverne Cox Reacts to Being the First Transgender Actress Who Gets Emmy Nomination
Laverne Cox has made history with her Emmy nomination, being the first openly transgender actress who gets the honor. In an interview with USA Today, the "Orange Is the New Black" star shares her feeling after learning of the good news. "Apparently I'm the first openly transgender actress to be honored for an Emmy," she says.
"I think this nomination happened because of Jodie, honestly," she sings praise for Jodie Foster, who directed the third episode of season 1. "That was a dream come true for me, as an actor. Who didn't grow up watching Jodie Foster movies? I would rewind tapes to see what she did. This performance in Episode 3 happened because of her."
This year is extra special for Cox. In addition to the Emmy nomination, she recently covered Time magazine. "I got to meet the president, I have an Emmy nomination and I can afford to redecorate my apartment. I have a publicist who connected this call," she shares some of her amazing experiences this year so far.
Of how these things have affected her life, she says, "Everything is different." She adds, "My whole life has changed. People recognize me wherever I go. Nothing is the same it was last year."
Asked what she will wear to the Emmy gala, Cox answers, "Oh my God, I don't know! I know I need to go to the gym! I hope someone wants to dress me, maybe."
Cox has celebrated her and other Emmy nominations received by her show with the rest of the cast, including her co-star Uzo Aduba who is nominated as breakout star. In a newly-shared picture, the "OITNB" stars are seen having a toast on the set of the Netflix comedy.
"OITNB" garnered 12 total nominations, including for Outstanding Comedy Series. It faces off "The Big Bang Theory", "Louie", "Modern Family", "Silicon Valley" and "Veep" in the category.
"Orange Is the New Black" cast celebrate Emmy nominations:
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video
- Harambe the Gorilla Shooting Sparks Outrage Among Hollywood Stars
- Brooklyn Beckham Flaunting His Abs in This Shirtless Selfie Will Make You Drool
- 'Game of Thrones': George R. R. Martin Reveals Brienne's Backstory