Carlton Cuse Admits 'The Strain' Poster Is Too Graphic for Some
The creative team's attempt to get attention for "The Strain" was deemed too graphic when FX pulled the billboard off from circulations last month. The horror drama's showrunner Carlton Cuse finally admitted that it was indeed not for everyone.
The key poster depicts a close up look of a human eyeball with a worm coming out of it. It received complaints from LA residents and was quickly taken down with the plan to replace it. "It may have been too far out there for some people but I personally liked it," Cuse said in a conference call via Deadline. "I think that the ad was bold and imaginative and clearly not for everyone."
Co-creator Guillermo del Toro chimed in, "I feel the same way. I think FX has a great sense of who their audience is, the worm with the eye is very powerful." He made a connection to the actual show, saying "Much as I think that the show has many layers of appeal. We do go to territories that are pretty extreme and graphic."
Cuse said FX president John Landgraf was a strong supporter of the show, which is based on del Toro and Chuck Hogan's book trilogy of the same name. "John Landgraf read all three books and he made the decision that The Strain fit into the portfolio of shows on FX," Cuse said. Del Toro added, "They give you time to find your footing."
"The Strain" follows Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, a Centers for Disease Control Canary Team head who fights against vampiric virus that has infected New York. Corey Stoll is cast as Eph. "The plan is the series will run from 3 to 5 seasons," Cuse noted. "It won't be more than 5 seasons." The show debuts July 13 for 13 episodes.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says