Mail Online Apologizes to George Clooney for Story About His Fiancee's Mother
George Clooney has received an apology from a U.K. media which published a report about his fiancee Amal Alamuddin's mother objecting their upcoming wedding. In response to Clooney's op-ed published on USA Today on Wednesday morning, July 9, the news outlet released an apology and removed the report from their site.
According to the statement by Mail Online (via AP), the story was "supplied in good faith by a reputable and trusted freelance journalist." It continued, "We accept Mr Clooney's assurance that the story is inaccurate and we apologize to him, Miss Amal Alamuddin and her mother, Baria, for any distress caused. We have removed the article from our website and will be contacting Mr Clooney's representatives to discuss giving him the opportunity to set the record straight."
Previously, the U.K. media published a report from family "friends" claiming that Alamuddin's mother Baria was against her daughter's upcoming wedding to the "Gravity" actor on religious grounds. According to the report, Clooney's fiancee risked of being "cast out of" Druze community if she married him. The Druze are a religion based mainly in Lebanon, Syria and Israel.
The star of "The Monuments Men" slammed the "fabricated" report in the Wednesday op-ed. "I seldom respond to tabloids, unless it involves someone else and their safety or well being," he wrote. "None of the story is factually true. Amal's mother is not Druze. She has not been to Beirut since Amal and I have been dating, and she is in no way against the marriage."
Clooney, who was first romantically linked to the British lawyer in 2013, added, "This lie involves larger issues. The irresponsibility, in this day and age, to exploit religious differences where none exist, is at the very least negligent and more appropriately dangerous."
More George Clooney News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal