Ellen DeGeneres Launching an Ambitious Lifestyle Brand
Ellen DeGeneres is making a move into the design world by launching her own lifestyle brand. Telling WWD about the plan, Ellen said that her brand would be big. "I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want it to be the biggest brand name that you can imagine," she said. Emphasizing the ambition, the talk show host added, "They say we're going to be on another planet soon, right? I'm going to be the first brand on that planet."
The new brand will be called E.D. The dots are just design elements instead of punctuation, so it will be pronounced Ed, which is a nickname given to Ellen by her wife, Portia de Rossi. E.D. will cover everything from gifts and accessories to home and garden wares even to pet's necessities. "I don't want to be specific because I don't want people stealing my ideas," she jokingly said.
The 56-year-old celebrity is not alone in the project. She has a list of famous enterpreneurs working with her, including J. Christopher Burch of Burch Creative Capital, longtime president and chief executive officer of Isaac Mizrah Marisa Gardini, and chief global brand officer of DreamWorks Animation Michael Francis. Ellen called them "the most amazing team, an all-star team."
As for the pricing, it's still in the works, but Ellen wanted to make it affordable. "My goal is that people can have a beautiful house, a really comfortable house, without only being able to afford [very expensive] things," she said. Regarding the clothes, she added, "Price point will be midlevel. As far as who it's for, I think it's for anyone. I hope that what I wear is versatile."
The brand's first collection of goods will launch in late October/early November featuring gift-friendly tableware, candles, home decor, pajamas and gift wrap. Distribution will be online through a major retail partner. A full launch featuring a broader home-and-garden range, women's and men's clothes and pet's accessories is scheduled for next spring.
More Ellen DeGeneres News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics