Ellen DeGeneres Launching an Ambitious Lifestyle Brand
Ellen DeGeneres is making a move into the design world by launching her own lifestyle brand. Telling WWD about the plan, Ellen said that her brand would be big. "I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want it to be the biggest brand name that you can imagine," she said. Emphasizing the ambition, the talk show host added, "They say we're going to be on another planet soon, right? I'm going to be the first brand on that planet."
The new brand will be called E.D. The dots are just design elements instead of punctuation, so it will be pronounced Ed, which is a nickname given to Ellen by her wife, Portia de Rossi. E.D. will cover everything from gifts and accessories to home and garden wares even to pet's necessities. "I don't want to be specific because I don't want people stealing my ideas," she jokingly said.
The 56-year-old celebrity is not alone in the project. She has a list of famous enterpreneurs working with her, including J. Christopher Burch of Burch Creative Capital, longtime president and chief executive officer of Isaac Mizrah Marisa Gardini, and chief global brand officer of DreamWorks Animation Michael Francis. Ellen called them "the most amazing team, an all-star team."
As for the pricing, it's still in the works, but Ellen wanted to make it affordable. "My goal is that people can have a beautiful house, a really comfortable house, without only being able to afford [very expensive] things," she said. Regarding the clothes, she added, "Price point will be midlevel. As far as who it's for, I think it's for anyone. I hope that what I wear is versatile."
The brand's first collection of goods will launch in late October/early November featuring gift-friendly tableware, candles, home decor, pajamas and gift wrap. Distribution will be online through a major retail partner. A full launch featuring a broader home-and-garden range, women's and men's clothes and pet's accessories is scheduled for next spring.
More Ellen DeGeneres News
- Too Little, Too Late? Taylor Swift's Support for Women's March Is Met With Backlash
- Get First Look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison in 'Current War'
- Kylie Jenner Shows a Lot of Skin in Barely There Two-Piece
- Is Selena Gomez Begging for Justin Bieber's 'Blessing' to Date The Weeknd After JB Calls Him 'Wack'?
- 'Logan' Is Not Set in the Same 'X-Men' Universe, According to Hugh Jackman
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video