Garth Brooks Cancels All Five Dublin Shows Following Failed Negotiations
After some failed negotiations with Dublin City Council, Garth Brooks decided to scrap all five scheduled concerts in the city. Brooks' tour promoter announced on Tuesday, July 8 that all of the sold-out concerts were canceled because the city's council denied to approve permits for two of the shows.
"It is with great regret that Aiken Promotions today announce that the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park has been cancelled," Aiken Promotions said. "No concerts will take place. The ticket return process will be outlined tomorrow. Aiken Promotions have exhausted all avenues regarding the staging of this event. We are very disappointed for the 400,000 fans who purchased tickets for The Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event."
Brooks was scheduled to play at Dublin's Croke Park Stadium from July 25 to 29. It was supposed to be the country singer's first large-scale concerts since announcing his comeback in December. He promised his Irish fans that one day he would return to play again in the stadium.
The Dublin city councilors voted in favor of allowing all five concerts to take place on Monday night, but the city manager refused to grant a license for all five shows. Residents and business owners near Croke Park Stadium objected to five concerts, citing a policy limiting special events at the venue to no more than three annually.
Brooks refused to cancel any of the shows, saying last week, "For us, it is five shows or none at all. To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do would be like asking to choose one child over another."
A spokeswoman for Brooks said on Tuesday after the cancellation, "They have been canceled, but the public isn't giving up." The team has scheduled a press conference to take place this Thursday, presumably to announce a world tour and to address the canceled Dublin shows.
More Garth Brooks News
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March