Naya Rivera Returning for 'Glee' Final Season as Recurring Guest Star
Naya Rivera is back for the final season of "Glee", but there's a twist. After missing in the season 5 finale of the musical drama series, the Santana depicter will return in a smaller capacity as a recurring guest star.
TVLine reports that it's the actress' own request to be downgraded from a series regular. A representative for Rivera could not be reached, while a "Glee" spokesperson refused to comment on the news.
The report comes following Rivera's alleged on-set feud with co-star Lea Michele, but Michele denied it. "It's really unbelievable the amount of the things that can just be completely made up," she said when visiting "Late Show with David Letterman" in May, adding that the the rumors were "really frustrating."
Series creator Ryan Murphy also told Extra, "I don't think there is a story between Naya and Lea. I always marvel at the things that become headline news that most of the time are completely fabricated. Naya's coming back next year, Lea's coming back next year. Anybody ever in that cast has an open invitation to come back and finish the character they so beautifully started."
A source, however, said that Rivera had a disagreement with the show's producers, though another insider insisted that it "had nothing to do with Lea."
"Glee" season 6 will air in spring 2015. Murphy has dished on the concept for the final season, saying, "It really feels like it's getting back to its roots, which I love. I'm sort of reinvigorated about it. It's getting back to what I was initially interested in with the show, which was arts in school. The last season is really about the importance of arts education in our high schools... I think people will like it."
Another original cast member, Chris Colfer, recently had to dismiss rumor that he's fired from the show after his Twitter was updated with a shocking message of his supposed departure. His representative later clarified, "It's not true. His Twitter account has been hacked. He will indeed be back for the final season."
More Glee News
- 'Fargo' Season 3 First Full Trailer: What Does Ewan McGregor's Emmit Owe to His Twin Brother?
- Ready to Mingle? Tom Cruise's 'Fallen' for 'M:I-6' Co-Star Vanessa Kirby
- 'The Talk' Host Sheryl Underwood Cries as She Reveals Terrifying Rape Ordeal
- Brie Larson to Play U.S. First Female Presidential Candidate in Victoria Woodhull Biopic
- Netflix Debuts 'Death Note' Teaser Trailer and It's Slammed for Whitewashing
- Michael Shannon Joins Contention to Play Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus Caught in Lip-Lock Amid Romance Rumors
- Lorde, Muse, The Killers, Chance the Rapper, Arcade Fire to Headline 2017 Lollapalooza