Naya Rivera Returning for 'Glee' Final Season as Recurring Guest Star
Naya Rivera is back for the final season of "Glee", but there's a twist. After missing in the season 5 finale of the musical drama series, the Santana depicter will return in a smaller capacity as a recurring guest star.
TVLine reports that it's the actress' own request to be downgraded from a series regular. A representative for Rivera could not be reached, while a "Glee" spokesperson refused to comment on the news.
The report comes following Rivera's alleged on-set feud with co-star Lea Michele, but Michele denied it. "It's really unbelievable the amount of the things that can just be completely made up," she said when visiting "Late Show with David Letterman" in May, adding that the the rumors were "really frustrating."
Series creator Ryan Murphy also told Extra, "I don't think there is a story between Naya and Lea. I always marvel at the things that become headline news that most of the time are completely fabricated. Naya's coming back next year, Lea's coming back next year. Anybody ever in that cast has an open invitation to come back and finish the character they so beautifully started."
A source, however, said that Rivera had a disagreement with the show's producers, though another insider insisted that it "had nothing to do with Lea."
"Glee" season 6 will air in spring 2015. Murphy has dished on the concept for the final season, saying, "It really feels like it's getting back to its roots, which I love. I'm sort of reinvigorated about it. It's getting back to what I was initially interested in with the show, which was arts in school. The last season is really about the importance of arts education in our high schools... I think people will like it."
Another original cast member, Chris Colfer, recently had to dismiss rumor that he's fired from the show after his Twitter was updated with a shocking message of his supposed departure. His representative later clarified, "It's not true. His Twitter account has been hacked. He will indeed be back for the final season."
- NBC Sets Premiere Date for DC Comics' Comedy 'Powerless'
- Meghan Trainor Scraps Remaining 2016 Tour Dates due to Illness
- Pharrell Joins Forces With Alicia Keys on New Song 'Apple'
- Jennifer Lawrence Gets Blasted for Scratching Her Butt on Sacred Rocks
- The Rock Seduced by a Bikini Babe in 'Baywatch' Longer Teaser Trailer
- Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik Team Up for 'Fifty Shades Darker' Song 'I Don't Wanna Live Forever'
- Spidey Faces Off Vulture in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' First Trailer
- AFI Lists 'Game of Thrones', 'The Americans' and 'Better Call Saul' as Best TV Shows of 2016