Madonna Dismissed From Jury Duty After Two Hours
Madonna showed up in a New York City courthouse on Monday, July 7 to do her jury duty, but she was dismissed from the job shortly after. Accompanied by her entourage which included some bodyguards, Madonna was seen entering the courthouse wearing a black suit, pants, a scarf and a pair of sunglasses. The "Material Girl" hitmaker then was sent to first-floor clerk's office instead of the usual jury room.
The pop star did not need to stay in the courthouse for a long time as she was excused after two hours. A court official explained to media that they had enough jurors to fulfill the needs of the court.
"We had ample jurors today and had we needed her, she would have been sent out on a panel. We had sufficient jurors not to have created a further distraction for the courthouse," said New York State Unified Court System spokesman David Bookstaver. "She got credit for her service and we're delighted she came."
As reported by Page Six, an attorney made similar comment on Madonna's presence in the courthouse, saying that she would be "a total distraction." The attorney explained, "I'm sure she's bright, but her celebrity overrides her intellect. Everyone would be staring at her - I know I would."
Some other jurors commented on the special treatment for the 55-year-old star. "The whole idea is everyone is here to serve. It's ridiculous to make it a tiered system," said a woman named Anna.
Madonna or her rep did not respond to questions about special treatment. "I'm proud to do my job," she said on Monday, as quoted by NY Daily News.
More Madonna News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris