Mel Gibson on Gary Oldman's Contoversial Comments on Playboy: 'He's a Good Guy'
Mel Gibson has commented on backlash received by Gary Oldman following his controversial comments in an interview with Playboy. Variety met the "Braveheart" actor at the 49th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival recently and asked him if he had "any sympathy for Gary Oldman, and the predicament he was in recently."
Gibson, however, was not aware that the "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" star mentioned his name or Alec Baldwin in the Playboy interview. After the interviewer explained that Oldman was criticized due to some of his statement, Gibson said, "These things happen. As we all know... I have nothing much to say. The guy was probably just... He's a good guy." He added, "He's fantastic. I know him. He's a good dude... I didn't even look too hard."
Oldman previously made headlines after he slammed people who condemned Gibson after he made racist remarks in the past. "I don't know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we've all said those things," he said of Gibson who made anti-semitic rant during his DUI arrest in 2006. He also said that Hollywood is "run by Jews."
The "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" actor has profusely apologized for his "insensitive" comment about the Jews. "Upon reading my comments in print - I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype," he said in a letter to the Anti-Defamation League. He apologized again during an appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", calling himself "an a**hole."
More Mel Gibson News
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Possible Reconciliation With Christina
- Chance The Rapper and Jeremih Featured on Taylor Bennett's 'Grown Up Fairy Tales'
- Uh-Oh! 'The Vampire Diaries' Poised to Bring Back This Ultimate Villain
- Report: Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are Moving to Australia Next Year
- Selena Gomez Goes Braless in Sexy New Pics
- Patrick Stewart Is Done Playing Professor X in 'X-Men' Franchise
- Jamie Foxx Dumps Katie Holmes Over Her Scientology Drama
- Mahershala Ali and Wife Welcome Baby Girl