Joan Rivers on CNN Interview Exit: I Was Put on the Defensive
Joan Rivers has defended herself after storming out of an interview with CNN. Not apologizing for the incident, the comedienne insists the exit was not a PR stunt and she was offended by the questions made by CNN anchor Fredricka Whitfield.
"The CNN interviewer was a news reporter and not an entertainment reporter," she told TheWrap. "She did not seem to understand we were talking about a comedy book and not the transcripts from the Nuremburg Trial. Every question was an accusatory one designed to put me on the defensive."
During the pre-taped interview about Rivers' new book "Diary of a Mad Diva", Whitfield asked the "Fashion Police" host about her jokes which were usually "off-limits." "Life is very tough, and if you can make something easier and funny do it," she replied. "I don't know what your life has been like but I know a lot of people who have gone through hell. Winston Churchill said if you make someone laugh, you give them a vacation. And maybe you take the worst thing in the world, make it funny and give them a vacation from horror."
The 81-year-old flipped out when Whitfield questioned her fashion choice on the cover of her book. "This whole interview is becoming a defense interview," she fired back. "Are you wearing leather shoes?" When the anchor said "yes," she responded, "Then shut up." She added, "Come to me when you're wearing a paper belt."
"I'm going," Rivers said while pulling out her earpiece. "All you've done is negative," she claimed. "You are not the one to interview a person who does humor! Sorry!" A stunned Whitfield asked, "Are we serious?"
After the interview, Whitfield said she thought Rivers was joking the whole time and wondered if it was a stunt. She just realized that Rivers "was serious" as the comedienne "dropped some rather unflattering four-letter words" while still wearing her microphone.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked