'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Easily Won Fourth of July Weekend Box Office
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" easily won the Fourth of July box office despite getting competition from three new entries. The Michael Bay blockbuster collected approximately $36.4 million in ticket sales over the three-day celebratory weekend, taking the first place for a second consecutive weekend.
"There wasn't another big tentpole movie to compete with 'Transformers'," said Phil Contrino, vice president and chief analyst of BoxOffice.com. "There was a hesitancy on the part of studios to open against it, but what the market is saying is that was room for another tentpole to compete with it."
New films "Tammy", "Deliver Us from Evil" and "Earth to Echo" landed at number two, three and six respectively. The Melissa McCarthy comedy earned approximately $21.2 million, well enough to hover over the horror film's $9.5 million earning. Family movie "Earth to Echo" settled with an estimated $8.2 million opening to sit behind "22 Jump Street" and "How to Train Your Dragon 2".
Overall, the holiday weekend was lackluster with $122 million total, which is around 45% less than last year's Independence Day. Bringing in $230 million overall, last year's weekend had "Despicable Me 2" opening to a whopping $83.5 million.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" itself has excelled above others after becoming the highest-grossing debut of the year, opening to an estimated $100 million. According to studio estimates, the $210 million production has earned a total of $174.7 million domestically and more than $575 million globally.
- "Transformers: Age of Extinction" - $36.4 million
- "Tammy" - $21.1 million
- "Deliver Us from Evil" - $9.5 million
- "22 Jump Street" - $9.4 million
- "How to Train Your Dragon 2" - $8.7 million
- "Earth to Echo" - $8.2 million
- "Maleficent" - $6.1 million
- "Jersey Boys" - $5.2 million
- "Think Like a Man Too" - $4.9 million
- New Photo of 'Once Upon a Time' Musical Episode Gives First Look at the Groom
- Mel B's Ex Stephen Belafonte Begs Her for Money
- Lucasfilm to Develop More 'Star Wars' Spin-Offs Soon
- Frank Ocean Releases Another New Catchy Song 'Lens'
- Kylie Jenner Forced to Leave Las Vegas Event by Anti-Fur Protestors
- Awkward Reunion! Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom Say a Quick Hello at Pal's Birthday
- Scott Disick Caught Bringing a 'Tramp' to His Hotel Room in 'KUWTK' Preview
- Gigi Hadid's Super Sweet Birthday Picture With Zayn Malik Will Make You Jealous