Billy Ray Cyrus Honors Slain Nevada Teacher, Calls Him 'Hero'
Billy Ray Cyrus called a Nevada teacher who was killed by a 12-year-old student in a shooting incident last fall a "hero." Cyrus honored the teacher and ex-Marine Michael Landsberry in a Saturday night, July 5 concert in Incline Village by presenting a memorial plaque and "financial gift" to his widow, Sharon.
"Tonight we are here to honor a true American hero," the "Achy Breaky Heart" hitmaker told 1000 audience members, as reported by The Associated Press. "Michael Landsberry made the ultimate sacrifice to save his students after serving three terms in Afghanistan."
The country singer additionally said that Landsberry represented the courage of the Vietnam veteran honored in his song, "Some Gave All". The father of Miley Cyrus then led the concertgoers to sing the track together.
Back in October, Landsberry tried to persuade the shooter to turn the gun over before he was shot in the chest in a middle school in Reno suburb of Sparks. The shooter also wounded his two classmates before taking his own life. In addition to his wife, Landsberry is survived by two daughters. Thanking Cyrus, Landsberry's widow said, "We all love him today. ... He lives within all of us."
"Just about every year, my dad and I would find an unsung hero and present them with a 'Some Gave All' award. I kind of play everything by ear, and I thought sometime when the time is right, I would love to recognize the sacrifice Michael made," Cyrus told the news outlet. Cyrus' father Ronald Ray Cyrus passed away in 2006.
- Netflix Is Back After Crash Following 'Luke Cage' Premiere
- Gigi Hadid Trips on Runway at Paris Fashion Week
- Mail Order Bride Comedy Canned by NBC After Getting Backlash
- Robin Williams' Widow Calls the Actor's Disease 'the Terrorist Inside My Husband's Brain'
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress