Paul Horn, Pioneer of New Age Music, Died at Age 84
Paul Horn, who has been called "Father of New Age Music", died of brief illness on June 29 in his house in Vancouver, Canada. He was 84. His son, Marlen, confirmed the sad news and said, "He passed away very peacefully and did not suffer. He wasn't in any pain."
The legendary musician began to play music instrument at young age. At the age of four, he started to play piano, then he played clarinet at ten, and saxophone at twelve. He earned a bachelor degree from Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Ohio with the study of clarinet and flute. Paul then continued his education to Manhattan School of Music, earning his master's degree.
After moving to Los Angeles, he performed with Chico Hamilton's quintet from 1956 to 1958. Together with Chico's group, Paul appeared in 1957's movie "Sweet Smell of Success". In 1960, Paul recorded his first album "Something Blue". He then joined Duke Ellington Orchestra's Suite Thursday, working along with Nat King Cole and Tony Bennett.
In 1966, Paul's album "Jazz Suite on the Mass Texts" won two Grammy Awards, for the best original jazz composition and photographic cover album.
Paul has made fifty albums during his fifty-year career. He is famous for his philosophical principles and had studied trancendental meditation alongside The Beatles with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. His albums "Inside the Taj Mahal" and "Inside the Great Pyramid" helped him earn the title "Father of New Age Music".
Paul is survived by his wife Ann Mortifee, two sons, a stepson Devon and four grandchildren. A private funeral for Paul is being planned.
- Netflix Is Back After Crash Following 'Luke Cage' Premiere
- Gigi Hadid Trips on Runway at Paris Fashion Week
- Mail Order Bride Comedy Canned by NBC After Getting Backlash
- Robin Williams' Widow Calls the Actor's Disease 'the Terrorist Inside My Husband's Brain'
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress