Shakira, Wyclef Jean Tapped to Close 2014 FIFA World Cup
It has been confirmed that Shakira will perform at the closing ceremony of 2014 FIFA World Cup. The Latin singer is slated to perform her "La La La (Brazil 2014)" at the event that will take place at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro on July 13.
This would be Shak's third consecutive appearance at the World Cup. She previously performed the tournament's 2010 official song "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)". She also performed "Hips Don't Lie" at the 2006 World Cup in Berlin.
"I have an intricate relationship with football for obvious reasons, and I truly understand what the World Cup means to so many people, myself included," Shakira, who's been dating Spanish soccer player Gerard Pique, said in a statement.
"For me the World Cup carries such a tremendous personal connection as well. This will be my third consecutive FIFA World Cup performance, and the 2010 FIFA World Cup changed my life forever - it's where I began the love story of my life, and now have my son Milan as a result," she continued.
"For all of those reasons I just feel so grateful for the opportunity to come back to perform at the Closing Ceremony of this year's FIFA World Cup in Brazil, it feels right. The fans have shown the most incredible support for this song and I can't wait to perform it for them," she added.
Also set to perform at the closing ceremony are Santana and Wyclef Jean. They will play the official World Cup anthem "Dar um Jeito (We Will Find a Way)".
- Angelina Jolie Backtracks Her Comment After She's Warned to Stop Trashing Brad Pitt
- Never-Before-Seen Footage of Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Surfaces
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Confirm Return for 'DWTS' Season 24
- Katy Perry Goes to 'Oblivia' Theme Park in 'Chained to the Rhythm' Music Video
- 'Hellboy 3' Is Dead, Director Guillermo Del Toro Says
- 'InHumans' Announces 'Game of Thrones' Alum as Maximus
- Hoda Kotb Introduces Newly-Adopted Daughter, Explains Baby's Name
- Karrueche Tran Accuses Chris Brown of Domestic Violence, Files for Restraining Order