'Midnight Rider' Filmmakers Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in Sarah Jones' Death
The filmmakers of Gregg Allman biopic "Midnight Rider" have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass in the death of camera assistant Sarah Elizabeth Jones. This is the first criminal charges filed regarding Jones' death since the February incident.
On February 20, the cast and crew were filming a dream sequence on railroad tracks along a trestle over the Altamaha River in Wayne County. A freight train approached but some of the crew did not make it in time, including Jones. The 27-year-old's parents were the first to file a wrongful death suit against the director, producers and other entities affiliated with the film.
On Thursday, July 3, prosecutors in Georgia's Wayne County charged director Randall Miller, his wife Jody Savin who served as producer and Jay Sedrish who served as the unit production manager and executive producer. Under Georgia law, a manslaughter conviction would carry a sentence of 10 years in prison while criminal trespass is a misdemeanor and carries potential sentence of one year.
Jones' father Richard released a statement on behalf of himself and his wife, Elizabeth, after the Thursday sentence. "Elizabeth and I are comfortable that the authorities were both careful and meticulous in investigating and bringing charges related to the incident that took our daughter's life. We must allow the criminal justice process to proceed unhindered. Our mission remains the same: to ensure safety on all film sets. Safety for Sarah," Richard said.
Production of "Midnight Rider" was shut down and attempts to restart the shoot in L.A. were rebuffed. The film's star William Hurt, who was on the set when Jones was killed, has pulled out of the project.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics