'Midnight Rider' Filmmakers Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter in Sarah Jones' Death
The filmmakers of Gregg Allman biopic "Midnight Rider" have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass in the death of camera assistant Sarah Elizabeth Jones. This is the first criminal charges filed regarding Jones' death since the February incident.
On February 20, the cast and crew were filming a dream sequence on railroad tracks along a trestle over the Altamaha River in Wayne County. A freight train approached but some of the crew did not make it in time, including Jones. The 27-year-old's parents were the first to file a wrongful death suit against the director, producers and other entities affiliated with the film.
On Thursday, July 3, prosecutors in Georgia's Wayne County charged director Randall Miller, his wife Jody Savin who served as producer and Jay Sedrish who served as the unit production manager and executive producer. Under Georgia law, a manslaughter conviction would carry a sentence of 10 years in prison while criminal trespass is a misdemeanor and carries potential sentence of one year.
Jones' father Richard released a statement on behalf of himself and his wife, Elizabeth, after the Thursday sentence. "Elizabeth and I are comfortable that the authorities were both careful and meticulous in investigating and bringing charges related to the incident that took our daughter's life. We must allow the criminal justice process to proceed unhindered. Our mission remains the same: to ensure safety on all film sets. Safety for Sarah," Richard said.
Production of "Midnight Rider" was shut down and attempts to restart the shoot in L.A. were rebuffed. The film's star William Hurt, who was on the set when Jones was killed, has pulled out of the project.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences