Katherine Heigl Regrets Doing Too Many Romantic Comedies
Katherine Heigl talks about her career in the latest issue of Marie Claire U.K. where she serves as the cover girl. The actress felt taking so many parts in romantic comedies had derailed her career. Looking back at her old days as a romcom queen, she regrets for not taking more challenging roles.
"I had an amazing time. I love romantic comedies. I was so stoked to be doing them. But maybe I hit it a little too hard. I couldn't say no. There's nothing wrong with them, but maybe I overloaded my audience. I should have done a superhero movie or a psychological thriller," the mother of two said.
"I stopped challenging myself," the 35-year-old actress continued. "It became a bit by rote and, as a creative person, that can wear you down. That was part of why I took that time off, to ask myself, 'What do I want? What am I looking for?' and shut down all the noise."
According to her, she came to a point where she felt betrayed by Hollywood and needed to stay away for a while. "This thing that was my best friend for a long time suddenly turned on me," she explained. "And I didn't expect it. I was taken by surprise and angry at it for betraying me."
Heigl now returns to television. She plays a main character on NBC's new drama series "State of Affairs". "I feel like I'm finally rolling into the next phase of my adulthood," she said. "We made a deal [with the producers of 'State of Affairs'] that we will only do 15 episodes a season, so I can go back to Utah and do all the things that inspire me."
Still, she said, "There's still a part of me that's a Hollywood animal as well."
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group
- Artist of the Week: DJ Snake
- Idris Elba Confirms He Is Done Filming His Part in 'The Dark Tower'
- Kylie Jenner Gets Banned From Entering Club Where Tyga Performs. Here's Why