'McHale's Navy' Star and Commisioner Gordon's Voice Bob Hastings Dies at 89
Bob Hastings, notable for his portrayal of yes-man Lt. Elroy Carpenter on 60s sitcom "McHale's Navy" and his voicework for "Batman" shows as Commisioner Gordon, died on June 30. He was 89.
His granddaughter Alison Knowles said that the veteran actor died on Monday after a lengthy battle with prostate cancer. It was his third cancer fight in 15 years.
Hasting's younger brother, Don, who has starred on soap opera "As The World Turns" for decades, told the Burbank Leader that his brother was a hero. "I miss him. He was a great guy. He was a good father and a good husband," he said. "That's hard to be in show business."
Prior to his death, doctors gave the veteran actor a few days to live after his release from Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center and the Disney Family Cancer Center. Hasting lived for almost nine more weeks.
The actor was born in Brooklyn, New York, on April 18, 1925 as Robert Francis Hastings. At 11, he started acting for radio dramas. After serving in World War II, Hastings began his first major radio career as popular comic book- based character Archie Andrews.
Hastings made a switch to television acting in 1949 playing Captain Hal in "Captain Video and His Video Rangers". He performed in several early science fiction series since then, including "Atom Squad" and a short appearance for "The Twilight Zone". The actor gained popularity through his memorable role on "Mc'Hale's Navy" and "General Hospital".
Hastings did a great deal of voicework during his long entertainment career. In his days, he had been the voice for Clark Kent for early "Superboy" and "Superman" series and Commissioner Gordon for many "Batman" series and video games.
His voice also appeared on children's story albums such as "The Black Beauty" and "The Arabian Night".
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked