Memorial Service for Ruby Dee Will Be Held in September
Ruby Dee's family, friends and fans will pay tribute to the legendary actress at a memorial service in New York in September. The memorial service will be held to commemorate the notable person in the U.S. civil rights movement, who died on June 11 at age 91.
The Terrie Williams Agency said on July 1 that the memorial service would be held at Riverside Church in Manhattan on September 20. The event, which will be opened to public, will include songs, tributes and reflections from Ruby's family and friends.
Terrie Williams, a spokeperson for the family, said, "Ruby was a extraordinary life force. People were very connected to her and to Ozzie." She additionally said that the "Politics of Love" actress had successfully used her art, activism and visibility to make a difference. Terrie added, "Those are the key reasons she is being celebrated."
President Barack Obama once said that Ruby "paved the way for generations of black actors and actresses and inspired African-American women across our country" through her performances.
Ruby has received a lot of awards during her long career, including Emmy, Grammy, Obie, Drama Desk, Screen Actors Guild Award, Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award, the National Medal of Arts and the Kennedy Center Honor. Her appearance in "American Gangster" received Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die