Memorial Service for Ruby Dee Will Be Held in September
Ruby Dee's family, friends and fans will pay tribute to the legendary actress at a memorial service in New York in September. The memorial service will be held to commemorate the notable person in the U.S. civil rights movement, who died on June 11 at age 91.
The Terrie Williams Agency said on July 1 that the memorial service would be held at Riverside Church in Manhattan on September 20. The event, which will be opened to public, will include songs, tributes and reflections from Ruby's family and friends.
Terrie Williams, a spokeperson for the family, said, "Ruby was a extraordinary life force. People were very connected to her and to Ozzie." She additionally said that the "Politics of Love" actress had successfully used her art, activism and visibility to make a difference. Terrie added, "Those are the key reasons she is being celebrated."
President Barack Obama once said that Ruby "paved the way for generations of black actors and actresses and inspired African-American women across our country" through her performances.
Ruby has received a lot of awards during her long career, including Emmy, Grammy, Obie, Drama Desk, Screen Actors Guild Award, Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award, the National Medal of Arts and the Kennedy Center Honor. Her appearance in "American Gangster" received Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
- 'Han Solo' Movie May Reveal How the Iconic Smuggler Won the Millenium Falcon
- Taylor Swift Details Alleged Groping in Deposition: I Felt 'Distressed' and 'Violated'
- Bow Wow Announces Joint Album With Soulja Boy 'Ignorant S**t' Ahead of Retirement
- 'Westworld' Star Responds to the Man in Black Theories
- 'Deadpool 2': Find Out Details of Tim Miller's Disagreements With Ryan Reynolds That Led to His Exit
- Kylie Jenner Has a Good Reason Why She Mistook a Pig for a Chicken in Viral Clip
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.02 Sneak Peeks: Rick Relinquishes Control, Andrea Tours the Kingdom
- Kanye West Vows to Boycott Grammys if Frank Ocean Isn't Nominated