Former Miss Delaware Amanda Longacre Plans to Sue if She Doesn't Get Her Title Back
Former Miss Delaware Amanda Longacre, who was stripped of her title two weeks after winning the crown, appeared on "Today" show on June 30. She revealed that she would not back down and planned to sue if she did not get her title back.
Amanda, who was still allowed to keep her scholarship award after being stripped of her title, claimed, "I won the title of Miss Delaware. I am Miss Delaware, and I was nothing but honest from the beginning. I did not know that rule [about age] at all, and they reiterated to me since the beginning that I was eligible to compete. I asked from the beginning, 'Am I eligible?' They asked for my contract. I gave them my birth certificate. I gave them everything."
"I've gotten a lot of support and I'm so appreciative of it," she continued, "I feel so much love from my state, and even from outside of my state people have been supporting me. I've been nothing but honest since the beginning and they don't think it's right either."
When asked if she wanted to keep the scholarship money or wanted to fight for the title, Amanda said, "This is about the title of Miss Delaware that I rightfully won. I want to represent the people of Delaware. I want to be a social worker. This was a great start to a fabulous career for me and it's still going to be a fabulous career for me."
Mark Billion, Amanda's lawyer, supported her in a statement, saying, "What we want to see is to have Amanda compete in Miss America and serve as Miss Delaware, and in our mind that's what's fair. And if we have to sue to do it we will, but our goal here is that she be allowed to enjoy the title that she's earned."
Previously, Amanda was stripped of her title because of age dispute. The officials revealed that the contestant must not exceed the age limit of 17 to 24 until the end of the year. Meanwhile, Amanda will turn 25 a month after Miss America pageant. The current Miss Delaware is the previous runner-up, Brittany Lewis.
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Competition! Scarlett Johansson Develops a Zelda Fitzgerald Rival Project
- 'The Punisher' Announces 5 More New Cast Members
- Kristen Stewart Reunites With 'Twilight' Co-Stars at Women in Hollywood Awards
- Len Wiseman Files for Divorce From Kate Beckinsale
- Lady GaGa to Perform at 2016 American Music Awards
- Gilmore Girls at Major Crossroads in 'A Year in the Life' First Trailer
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early and Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Violent Season 7 Premiere