BET Awards 2014: Lupita Nyong'o and Chiwetel Ejiofor Win Movie Accolades
The 2014 BET Awards bestowed the movie accolades to "12 Years a Slave" stars Lupita Nyong'o and Chiwetel Ejiofor. The slavery movie itself was named Best Movie over "The Best Man Holiday", "Fruitvale Station", "Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain" and "Lee Daniels' The Butler".
Nyong'o portrayed Patsey in "Slave" and won an Oscar for the same role earlier this year. Sadly, the actress did not attend the event to receive her trophy. She beat out such actresses as Angela Bassett, Gabrielle Union, Kerry Washington and Oprah Winfrey.
Ejiofor played the lead male character Solomon Northup in the 2013 movie. He was nominated for an Oscar for the role but did not win it. His BET Awards victory was over such actors as Forest Whitaker, Idris Elba, Kevin Hart and Michael B. Jordan.
The 2014 BET Awards was held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. and broadcast live on Sunday, June 29 in Los Angeles. The ceremony was marred with violence when one man was shot to death and another was stabbed in two separate unofficial pre-show parties. BET has released a statement, saying the event is not affiliated with the incidents.
The awards event also gave nods to music and sports. Tennis star Serena Williams and basketball ace Kevin Durant won Subway Sportswoman of the Year and Subway Sportsman of the Year respectively.
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell