BET Awards 2014: Drake, Pharrell Among Early Winners
The 2014 BET Awards was officially kicked off at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles on Sunday, June 29. Pharrell Williams opened the event with the live performance of his "Come Get It Bae" before bringing out Missy Elliott to perform her 2003 hit "Pass That Dutch".
August Alsina became the first nominee that night to win an award as he's named Best New Artist. The singer, who edged out competitors like Ariana Grande, Mack Wilds, Rich Homie Quan and SchoolBoy Q, shed some tears while receiving his trophy from presenters Gabrielle Union and Regina Hall.
Drake was later announced as the winner in the Best Hip Hop Artist category, but he wasn't there to collect his trophy. Instead, "Think Like a Man" star Gary Owens accepted the award on behalf of the Canadian rapper.
After Usher performed a medley of his hits, including "Confessions" and "You Remind Me", Pharrell took the stage again to accept the Video of the Year award for his "Happy" from Kevin Hart and Kerry Washington. More winners will be announced as the 2014 BET Awards unfolds.
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip