BET Awards 2014: Drake, Pharrell Among Early Winners
The 2014 BET Awards was officially kicked off at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles on Sunday, June 29. Pharrell Williams opened the event with the live performance of his "Come Get It Bae" before bringing out Missy Elliott to perform her 2003 hit "Pass That Dutch".
August Alsina became the first nominee that night to win an award as he's named Best New Artist. The singer, who edged out competitors like Ariana Grande, Mack Wilds, Rich Homie Quan and SchoolBoy Q, shed some tears while receiving his trophy from presenters Gabrielle Union and Regina Hall.
Drake was later announced as the winner in the Best Hip Hop Artist category, but he wasn't there to collect his trophy. Instead, "Think Like a Man" star Gary Owens accepted the award on behalf of the Canadian rapper.
After Usher performed a medley of his hits, including "Confessions" and "You Remind Me", Pharrell took the stage again to accept the Video of the Year award for his "Happy" from Kevin Hart and Kerry Washington. More winners will be announced as the 2014 BET Awards unfolds.
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes