'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Wins at Box Office With $100 Million
"Transformers: Age of Extinction", as predicted, became the highest-grossing debut of the year after domestically earning an estimated $100 million across the weekend. Internationally, the film nabbed $201.3 million from 37 territories with China contributing $90 million of it.
"It's just a spectacular result," Don Harris, president of domestic theatrical distribution for Paramount, said, adding that it was an indication of "what a beloved franchise this is worldwide." Of its international achievement, Harris said, "I think it's become clear that studios can't afford to make movies of this scope without planning for them to be successful worldwide, and especially in China."
"Age of Extinction" opened on Friday, June 27 with $41.6 million, attracting 64% male and 58% 25 years-and older. A career-high for lead star Mark Wahlberg, it had an international earning that was a 35% uplift from the last installment, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", which was fronted by Shia LaBeouf. Opening in 150 IMAX screens also made up a record-breaking $10.7 million of the weekend grosses.
Landing at the second spot of the domestic box office was "22 Jump Street" which earned an estimated $15.4 million. "How to Train Your Dragon 2" brought in approximately $13.1 million in the third weekend and sat at the third place, followed by "Think Like a Man Too" which had a steep 64% fall with approximately $10.4 million. At the fifth place was "Maleficent" which added an estimated $8.2 million in its fifth weekend and became the highest grossing domestic release of 2014.
- "Transformers: Age of Extinction" - $100 million
- "22 Jump Street" - $15.4 million
- "How to Train Your Dragon 2" - $13.1 million
- "Think Like a Man Too" - $10.4 million
- "Maleficent" - $8.2 million
- "Jersey Boys" - $7.6 million
- "Edge of Tomorrow" - $5.2 million
- "The Fault in Our Stars" - $4.8 million
- "X-Men:Days of Future Past" - $3.3 million
- "Chef (2014)" - $1.65 million
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie
- J.K. Rowling Quickly Shuts Down 'The Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy Rumor
- Kate Hudson's Brother Hilariously Reacts to Rumor That the Actress Is Dating Brad Pitt
- Adele Added to 2017 Grammy Award Performers List
- LGBT Page Disappears From White House's Website After Trump's Inauguration, Twitter Freaks Out
- Shia LaBeouf Starts Four-Year Anti-Trump Live-Stream Protest on Inauguration Day
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- 'Green Lantern Corps' Is Eying Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper and Tom Cruise