'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Wins at Box Office With $100 Million
"Transformers: Age of Extinction", as predicted, became the highest-grossing debut of the year after domestically earning an estimated $100 million across the weekend. Internationally, the film nabbed $201.3 million from 37 territories with China contributing $90 million of it.
"It's just a spectacular result," Don Harris, president of domestic theatrical distribution for Paramount, said, adding that it was an indication of "what a beloved franchise this is worldwide." Of its international achievement, Harris said, "I think it's become clear that studios can't afford to make movies of this scope without planning for them to be successful worldwide, and especially in China."
"Age of Extinction" opened on Friday, June 27 with $41.6 million, attracting 64% male and 58% 25 years-and older. A career-high for lead star Mark Wahlberg, it had an international earning that was a 35% uplift from the last installment, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", which was fronted by Shia LaBeouf. Opening in 150 IMAX screens also made up a record-breaking $10.7 million of the weekend grosses.
Landing at the second spot of the domestic box office was "22 Jump Street" which earned an estimated $15.4 million. "How to Train Your Dragon 2" brought in approximately $13.1 million in the third weekend and sat at the third place, followed by "Think Like a Man Too" which had a steep 64% fall with approximately $10.4 million. At the fifth place was "Maleficent" which added an estimated $8.2 million in its fifth weekend and became the highest grossing domestic release of 2014.
- "Transformers: Age of Extinction" - $100 million
- "22 Jump Street" - $15.4 million
- "How to Train Your Dragon 2" - $13.1 million
- "Think Like a Man Too" - $10.4 million
- "Maleficent" - $8.2 million
- "Jersey Boys" - $7.6 million
- "Edge of Tomorrow" - $5.2 million
- "The Fault in Our Stars" - $4.8 million
- "X-Men:Days of Future Past" - $3.3 million
- "Chef (2014)" - $1.65 million
- Lady Antebellum Will Make You Dance With Their Cover of JT's 'Can't Stop the Feeling!'
- 'Tallulah' Trailer: Ellen Page and Allison Janney Raise a Kidnapped Child
- 'Lost in Space' Reboot Ordered to Series by Netflix
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna's Baby's Sex Reportedly Revealed. A Boy or a Girl?
- Rihanna Previews 'Sledgehammer' Video Before Premiering It in Full in IMAX
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Surrogacy Plan for Baby No. 3 Opposed by Their Church
- Hard Work Pays Off! Kourtney Kardashian Displays Her Rock-Hard Abs in Sexy Bikini
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series