Eminem Is Banned From U.K.'s Hyde Park due to 'Offensive' Lyrics, Investigation Reveals
Eminem's lyrical contents are indeed the reason why he was banned from playing a gig at U.K.'s Hyde Park. According to a new document obtained by The Daily Mirror, bosses at Royal Parks who run the Hyde Park decided not to have the rapper perform because they worried his songs would upset other park users.
"This artist flagged risks across the board. In particular in respect of our public reputation," said Royal Parks CEO Linda Lennon. "The nature of any act with potential for lyrics to be deemed offensive and/or unsuitable language being audible within the park as a whole, let alone the surrounding residential areas, is unacceptable."
London Mayor Boris Johnson's office said they were not involved in the decision to stop Eminem from performing at Hyde Park. They explained they didn't know who Eminem was and they couldn't do anything about Royal Parks' decision.
Eminem's Hyde Park gig was supposed to be a part of AEG's Barclaycard British Summer Time festival that's scheduled to open on July 3. Last month, rumors swirled claiming that the Detroit MC wasn't allowed to perform at the event because his lyrics "have been accused of being homophobic, provocative and pretty sweary." The festival is now set to continue with Arcade Fire, Black Sabbath and Neil Young among musicians who will take the stage.
After receiving the ruling, AEG's Jim King said, "I don't want to split hairs but I do question how easy it is for any offensive lyrics to be heard and actually understood outside of our event site." He also added that he was not "aware of any other case whereby he has been prevented from performing in the U.K."
Meanwhile, Eminem will still head to the U.K. next month for his shows at Wembley Stadium. The two-day concert will take place on July 11-12.
- Tyler Hoechlin Suits Up as Superman in His First Look on 'Supergirl'
- JoJo Goes Skinny Dipping in 'F**k Apologies' Video Feat. Wiz Khalifa
- Khloe Kardashian Blasts Critics for Claiming She's 'Too Skinny'
- Bring on the Baby Wipes! The Rock Takes on Mid-Flight Diaper Duty With Daughter Jasmine
- Kim Kardashian Admits That Her Curvy Figure Makes Her Feel Insecure
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert