Luis Suarez Gets Nine-Game Ban After World Cup Biting Incident
World Cup is over for Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez after FIFA banned him from nine international matches on June 26. Luis received the sentence after biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini in Tuesday's World Cup match. Luis was also suspended for four months from any soccer activity, banned from entering any stadium and fined $111,000.
According to CNN, FIFA stated on Thursday, "The first match of this suspension is to be served in the upcoming FIFA World Cup fixture between Colombia and Uruguay on 28 June 2014. The remaining match suspensions shall be served in Uruguay's next FIFA World Cup match(es), as long as the team qualifies, and/or in the representative team's subsequent official matches."
This is the third time Luis bit his opponent in a soccer match. Chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee, Claudio Sulser, released a statement about Luis' behavior on FIFA's website, saying, "Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field."
"The Disciplinary Committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suarez's guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Code," he added, "The decision comes into force as soon it is communicated."
Luis' biting incident was recently parodied by Ian Somerhalder on Instagram. Ian posted a fake poster of "The Vampire Diaries" which featured him as Damon Salvatore and Luis as a new cast member.
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son