Lupita Nyong'o and Pharrell Williams Join Oscar Voting Body
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is extending invitations to join the organization to 271 artists and executives who have distinguished themselves by their contributions to theatrical motion pictures. Those who accept the invitations will be the only additions to the Academy's membership in 2014.
Lupita Nyong'o who won Best Supporting Actress at this year's ceremony is among the new additions. The "12 Years a Slave" beauty is joined by such young actors as Josh Hutcherson, Michael Fassbender, Ben Foster, Sally Hawkins, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Chris Rock, and Jason Statham.
Directors Jean-Marc Vallee ("Dallas Buyers Club") and Denis Villeneuve ("Prisoners") are added to the voting body as well, along with Best Original Score Steven Price ("Gravity"), Best Original Song winner Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez ("Frozen (2013)") and nominee Pharrell Williams ("Despicable Me 2").
In writer category, the new members of the Academy include John Ridley ("12 Years a Slave"), Eric Warren Singer ("American Hustle"), and Terence Winter ("The Wolf of Wall Street"), and Steve Coogan ("Philomena").
"This year's class of invitees represents some of the most talented, creative and passionate filmmakers working in our industry today," said Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. "Their contributions to film have entertained audiences around the world, and we are proud to welcome them to the Academy."
Some of Oscar's 2014 invitees are as follow:
- Barkhad Abdi - "Captain Phillips"
- Clancy Brown - "The Hurricane", "The Shawshank Redemption"
- Paul Dano - "12 Years a Slave", "Prisoners"
- Michael Fassbender - "12 Years a Slave", "Shame"
- Ben Foster - "Lone Survivor", "Ain't Them Bodies Saints"
- Beth Grant - "The Artist", "No Country for Old Men"
- Clark Gregg - "Much Ado About Nothing", "The Avengers"
- Sally Hawkins - "Blue Jasmine", "Happy-Go-Lucky"
- Josh Hutcherson - "The Hunger Games", "The Kids Are All Right"
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus - "Enough Said", "Planes"
- Kelly Macdonald - "Brave", "No Country for Old Men"
- Mads Mikkelsen - "The Hunt", "Casino Royale"
- Joel McKinnon Miller - "Super 8", "The Truman Show"
- Cillian Murphy - "The Dark Knight Rises", "Inception"
- Lupita Nyong'o - "Non-Stop", "12 Years a Slave"
- Rob Riggle - "21 Jump Street", "The Hangover"
- Chris Rock - "Grown Ups 2", "Madagascar"
- June Squibb - "Nebraska", "About Schmidt"
- Jason Statham - "Parker", "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"
- David Strathairn - "Lincoln", "Good Night, and Good Luck"
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist