Guillermo del Toro Confirms 'Pacific Rim' Sequel, Universal Sets Date
Guillermo del Toro announced that "Pacific Rim 2" is on the go with Universal planning to release it on April 7, 2017 in 3D and IMAX. "We are happy to be bringing you more Jaegers, more Kaijus, kicking each other's butts," the director said in the taped message.
"Pacific Rim 2" will be scripted by del Toro himself and Zak Penn. Del Toro will also be back as the sequel's director. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni once again produce alongside del Toro, Mary Parent and Callum Greene.
"Pacific Rim", starring Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba and Rinko Kikuchi among others, was set in a futuristic world where giant monsters called Kaiju have risen from the ocean floor to overrun the Earth. It received "A-" in CinemaScore and became del Toro's highest debut with $37.3 million. The film has taken in $411 million worldwide.
The announcement made by del Toro was followed by the director telling BuzzFeed on Thursday, June 26 that Travis Beacham will also be working on the script. "The characters I love will return," del Toro said. "Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau - but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we're ready to have a blast."
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'